Oddities with battery calibration?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rye9, Oct 15, 2009.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Okay, so correct me if I am wrong please... but it's advised to once a month let your battery drain in your laptop to 0, and then charge it to full? I am under this assumption. Please let me know if this is wrong.

Anywho, so today I decided to let my battery drain to 0, and then normally it would sleep and I'd wake it up after plugging it in.. but this time I had to actually press the power button, and a gray screen appeared with a meter-like thing to illustrate it "waking up" I guess?

Also, my amount of free RAM practically doubled upon this "wake up"... what happened? And why this time? And why do I have so much RAM now? (not like I can complain too much about that last point, though...)

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

A google search turned up this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Imagine that? :eek:

I don't understand what else you'd expedt. Every time you power off, you flush out your memory. So when you power back on, well... you have all that free memory.

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Well that's the thing... I didn't power off. And I don't think I was able to extract much from the article... it says it should go into sleep mode which is what I said would always happen. This time, though... the sleep indicator LED thingy didn't go on... it went into a different state and I had to revive my computer by pressing the power button.

4. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

That's what's expected to happen when it goes into power save mode and goes to sleep (when the battery runs down). It'll save the current state, then go into a deep sleep. Once you turn it back on, it restores the state it was in.

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

But your battery croaked so like davids said... it went into a different kind of sleep that can only be revived by powering back up.

Did you let it sleep for 5 hours?

6. interconnect macrumors regular

interconnect

sounds like it went into deep sleep right away instead of it sleeping on reserve power for a number of hours. to calibrate your battery you're supposed to let the battery run all the way down, until the laptop powers off. it will sleep for a while on reserve power. once the sleep light stops pulsing, the battery is fully drained and you can charge it all the way up. i let it charge all the way up and let it sit for a few hours to cool down, then you can use it again.