Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Netbooks: Ugly, low performance, and a half ass version of Windows XP or Windows 7.

I find it funny how they all sold like hot cakes back in 2008-2011, and now there is not one to be seen in public. I wonder what happened to them all. Google has it right with the Chromebook, but half baking a full OS like Windows is asking for trouble.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Found someone selling this model of netbook and thought it looked very familiar. This is an unrelated article to that model. Seem familiar at all?

http://liliputing.com/2010/06/hp-launches-mini-100e-netbook-for-education-market.html
Familiar to what.... if you are implying the first iBook Clamshell.. about the only similarity i see is they both have a handle (wich though works differently)....

Hinges are different
Shape is different
Thickness is different
Handle is different......

Really it's hard to compare the 2

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's a Clamshell mixed with a MacBook. :D I remember they used to sell this ugly handle for the MacBook Pros around that time too, or at least it was a concept they tried.

They're probably in people's closets. I never saw one in the wild either, but knew someone online who had one.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Familiar to what.... if you are implying the first iBook Clamshell.. about the only similarity i see is they both have a handle (wich though works differently)....

Hinges are different
Shape is different
Thickness is different
Handle is different......

Really it's hard to compare the 2

Yes they are different machines.... I was trying to show how it was a bad knockoff

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Yes they are different machines.... I was trying to show how it was a bad knockoff
Because it is not...... just because a car has 4 wheels, doesn't mean that it is a rip off of another.... I though the concept was clear, never thought I would have to explain it....but here I am.....now I understand why you think they are similar :S

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
To quote the press release:

While the HP Mini 110e bears a more than passing resemblance to the Intel Classmate PC reference design, HP actually designed this laptop in-house. It includes many similar features, but that’s to be expected when you’re trying to develop a semi-rugged machine for educational purposes.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
Because it is not...... just because a car has 4 wheels, doesn't mean that it is a rip off of another.... I though the concept was clear, never thought I would have to explain it....but here I am.....now I understand why you think they are similar :S

Is there a reason you are being so rude? I posted it for fun. That's all.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
"Semi-rugged machine for educational purposes."

The Clamshell was intentionally oversized with a lot of rubber parts to protect it from bumps and scratches. They also, of all things, had charging ports on the bottom to be charged on a "classroom rack." Although the Clamshell was a hot consumer laptop, it had a lot of education-specific features.

I think there's more than a passing similarity here, although the new computer is most certainly much smaller than the Clamshell. Folks who have never seen a Clamshell "in the flesh" are often amazed at how large they are.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000

I too couldn't see similarities to the iMac Clamshell.
However regarding the disrespectful reply, remember: A sharp tongue is no indication of a keen mind.......

Reactions: Ih8reno

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
I too couldn't see similarities to the iMac Clamshell.
However regarding the disrespectful reply, remember: A sharp tongue is no indication of a keen mind.......
Well the fact that he felt "disrespected" makes me think there's hope!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
The Clamshell was intentionally oversized with a lot of rubber parts to protect it from bumps and scratches.

I especially like the extra space around the display which is unheard of now - it somehow engenders the feeling that the display isn't a fragile thing that's going to snap off every time you adjust it....

I don't understand this netbook hate - I've had a few and they were great computers, above all, incredibly robust and portable.
I wish there were more being built - same with palmtop devices, bring back a modern Psion Series 5 that runs for weeks on two AA batteries.

Reactions: 8692574

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2012
I remember when netbooks came out, I bought an aspire and for what it was a portable mini computer it was helpful. Moved on quickly when the ipad came out though. Still have my wife's 2 hp netbooks around here somewhere.

abundantmussel

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2014
Cork, Ireland
I purchased an eeepc 700 and an eeepc 900 when they came out, the 700 was useless, 2GB HD and 512MB RAM and 7" screen the 900 however proved itself useful over the course of 12 - 18 months, 1GB RAM, 8GB HD and 9" screen, either exist anymore in a useable state.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I purchased an eeepc 700 and an eeepc 900 when they came out, the 700 was useless, 2GB HD and 512MB RAM and 7" screen the 900 however proved itself useful over the course of 12 - 18 months, 1GB RAM, 8GB HD and 9" screen, either exist anymore in a useable state.

The 700 was low end but at the time a £99 laptop was unheard of.
The 900 was great - I bought one for my daughter but after a few years of teenage abuse the keyboard and touchpad were broke (I'm amazed it lasted that long - a mobile phone could only manage a couple of months). I then used it as a XBMC media centre for 2 years before it was retired in favour of an Amazon box.
It's now loaded with a fresh install of Crunchbang Linux awaiting some further use.....

I had a few Aspires too - one was my first Hackintosh - again, great machines.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
A friend of mine bought a netbook several years back-I think around the time he started college in 2008. It served him well, especially since he had a gaming PC he'd built back in his dorm room. I never used a netbook since through college I used a full-sized 15" laptop for everything, but I always thought the format made a lot of sense for someone like my friend who had a full-blown computer to back it up.

My friend loaded a lightweight Linux distro(maybe Puppy Linux, although I couldn't swear to it) on that particular netbook 3 or 4 years ago, and his then girlfriend used it. He and that girlfriend have since parted ways, but the last I heard she was still using the netbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.