Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dkeninitz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Germantown, MD
I've been running Win 7 on my Mac Pro for six or seven months; started with the Beta, then the RC, and now have the RTM. I've got 10gb of RAM, and a separate dedicated internal drive for the Win 7 installation. I've only allocated 2gb of the RAM to Windows, and 1 processor core. Still, it's snappier than SL on some things, especially web browsing. I have no idea why, but Firefox under Win 7 seems to open most pages way faster than either Safari or Firefox under SL.

It also seems to handle processing of large Excel files faster (although I realize that's likely due to the different versions of Office I'm using: Office 2007 for Windows, Office 2008 for Mac).

At this rate I'll be slowly converting my Mac Pro to a Windows machine. :)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
7 is definitely the first good version of Windows in my opinion. It still has a few very large flaws. 1) Registery and 2) DLL's. Both make Windows HELL to use eventually.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Yeah, I've only had windows 7 for about 6 hours now, but I'm finding the ff is quicker on the windows side. Then again on the mac side, Safari is much quicker for me then ff, so I'm thinking it's the fault of poor ff coding rather then bad SL performance.

– edit –

Good news for the mac camp after these tests by CNET;

Time-based_610x374.jpg

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Yeah, I've only had windows 7 for about 6 hours now, but I'm finding the ff is quicker on the windows side. Then again on the mac side, Safari is much quicker for me then ff, so I'm thinking it's the fault of poor ff coding rather then bad SL performance.

– edit –

Time-based_610x374.jpg

you should def. not use fire fox. Use chrome much better and faster. Its made by google so its not a crappy browser.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007

– edit –

Time-based_610x374.jpg

Do you know, is there a double POST (Power On Self Test)
when booting in a Boot Camp scenario?

There's an initial one before the OS chooser screen is shown
(if you hold down the option key). But there may be a second
one in the emulated BIOS.

If there is a double-POST, it makes boot time comparisons
difficult.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
cold boot on my PC (power button to desktop + online) takes about 40.1 seconds.

from the windows logo, about 23 seconds.

gotta love that SSD :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Do you know, is there a double POST (Power On Self Test)
when booting in a Boot Camp scenario?

There's an initial one before the OS chooser screen is shown
(if you hold down the option key). But there may be a second
one in the emulated BIOS.

If there is a double-POST, it makes boot time comparisons
difficult.

thats a great question. i would assume that apple has removed the need for the 2nd POST test (they are magical in their ways) - if it were activated then we would see the feedback, would we not?

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
7 is definitely the first good version of Windows in my opinion. It still has a few very large flaws. 1) Registery and 2) DLL's. Both make Windows HELL to use eventually.

1) Windows ignores invalid entries, so the worst that can happen with a huge and polluted registry is boot increases slightly.
2) DLL versions are very much under control with Windows 7. Programs cannot overwrite system DLL's with different versions, and each program uses its own DLL, or the system DLL if none is included by the installer.

And if you think DLL-hell used to be painful, try doing the same kind of crap on a unix system with dozens of different versions of libs in different paths or overwriting existing ones. Whichever is picked depends either on hardcoded paths, or the system library path, and both can create absolute hell. And yes, OS X is also susceptible to this. And contrary to Windows, there is no mechanism avoid it, although unix does allow different versions to be present in the same directory (version # in the file name, but most programs look for the file with no version in it, which is typically a symlink to one of the versions. And that could be the wrong one).

So, really if that's your only gripes about W7, there really isn't anything to complain about anymore. :)

pestbest

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009

– edit –

Time-based_610x374.jpg

I would have to say that test is hugely flawed for many reasons very clear. Also, Apple codes it's software for Windows poorly but I guess this test may still be partially right. I would say I feel Windows 7 = Snow Leopard at the moment and both run equally.

Anyway, it's fine if you use Windows too much. Just use the OS you want. I bought a macbook thinking it runs Windows and when I saw OS X, I was shocked. And that made me read out tech stuff and become a techie and now, I'm used to both Windows and OS X. Point is: Things happen for a reason willingly or unwillingly, but just do what is best for yourself and cope with it.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
thats a great question. i would assume that apple
has removed the need for the 2nd POST test (they are magical in their ways)
- if it were activated then we would see the feedback, would we not?

Possibly. I wouldn't like to guess. I have noticed a delay of a few
seconds between choosing the Windows boot option and the first
audible disk activity. What is happening during that time I do not
know. But it cannot be running the Windows bootloader because
that has to be read off the disk first.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Possibly. I wouldn't like to guess. I have noticed a delay of a few
seconds between choosing the Windows boot option and the first
audible disk activity. What is happening during that time I do not
know. But it cannot be running the Windows bootloader because
that has to be read off the disk first.

maybe the delay is the BIOS being emulated? if so then i guess that a POST would indeed be run. it would be wise to run the POST test again anyway because something mightnt be able to run under bootcamp that is running under the regular computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.