Odds of a new Final Cut package at WWDC?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by doctorossi, Apr 18, 2008.

1. doctorossi macrumors member

Hi, folks,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place...

Can anyone share some speculation (or inside info) on the chances of a new FCS version arriving in June? I'm ready to buy a copy, but wondering whether it's worth waiting 'til June to be sure.

Thanks!

2. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I'm not holding my breath. FCS2 hasn't been around for too long. If you ask me, I would guess that we'll see a replacement for DVD Studio Pro 4 next, something that can deal with HD material and Bluray discs. But maybe that's just wishful thinking...

- Martin

3. Fomaphone macrumors regular

How about 2009?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Not out for too long? FCS 2 will turn two in April. If Apple sticks w/it's typical cycle a new version of the suite will be announced in April to correspond w/NAB. IIRC there is usually a month or so delay between when it is announced and when it's shipping, and being a new release it will have some bugs and instability so probably add on another month or so for a good update to smooth things out.

Lethal

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

That post is 9 months old...

Fomaphone: don't dig up dead threads...

Fingers crossed for a Apr-June release fo FCS3. That's all we can do, hope...

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm an idiot... :mad::eek:

Lethal

7. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

Apple doesn't exhibit at NAB anymore-so how and where could they announce FCS3?

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just because they aren't at NAB doesn't mean they can't announce anything during the same time period. Last year Apple attended the LAFCPUG Super-meet at NAB and I'd be surprised if they didn't do that again this year. Even though they weren't officially part of NAB last year both Apple and Avid still had a presence in Vegas during that week. They just chose to hold their own smaller, more intimate meetings as opposed to being part of the controlled chaos at NAB.

Also, if they do announce FSC3 I'd expect Apple to do another multi-city 'road show' like they did last summer showing off FSC2 as well as Final Cut Server.

Lethal

9. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

They better add BD authoring.... But I'd say around April of this year for FCS3

10. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I sure would like to see BD too... waiting impatiently for sure!

11. -DH macrumors 65816

I'd say the odds were 50/50.

-DH

12. Fomaphone macrumors regular

it's better than making a new thread. i googled exactly the same question that the OP had and found this thread that way.

i'd be overjoyed, but very, very surprised.

13. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Seems that if the rumors are true and they are rewriting FCS to be completely 64bit, they would also be optimizing it to work with Snow Leopards new features. (GrandCentral, Open CL, etc.) And since they didnt even demo SL at macworld, Im thinking that it may be behind schedule, and that may push the release of FCS3 back as well.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Lord I hope FC gets a complete rewrite in the next version. Even if they don't have a release date set I think Apple has to show something this spring w/regards to FC. It's been nearly two years sense FCS 2, Adobe and Avid are uping their game, and natives are getting restless. Apple has no room to sit on its laurels.

Lethal