odds on a pixel anomaly?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Yurtal, May 8, 2009.

1. Yurtal macrumors member

Hello everyone. I am first time poster, long time viewer.

I have a little situation that I'd like to get your thoughts on...so here goes.

I bought a unibody macbook in October last year from the apple store, Sydney. At first I didn't notice but soon after the purchase I noticed it had a dead pixel on the left hand side. This didn't bother my operation of the computer that much it was more the fact that I had just paid a lot of money for a computer that has a fault.

I wasn't sure what to do and a few months went by, but last week I had finally decided to take it into the genius bar and see what they say about it, being only 6 months old, should this happen to the computer so early in it's life? The genius was really helpful and offered to replace the screen straight away no question, which they did. All was fine there. One week later I got it back, got home opened it up to find a small speck of what looks like dust right in the centre of the screen. It was not black like the previous dead pixel but it was right where you look and when using the computer it was something that you wanted to brush off but couldn't and would forever be stuck under the glass.

I couldn't believe that this repair came back to me with something wrong (small I know but I still thought I was entitled to a flawless product being bought new and all). I booked into the genius again and went along. Now here is the troublesome bit. It was of course a different genius who served and he basically said, straight off that apple has a pixel anomaly policy which entitles them to knock back any repair with under a certain amount of anomalies. I didn't know this existed and thought that if I bought a computer it would be in perfect condition, but in actual fact it could sport a dead pixel or two and they don't have to replace it. So he looks at this replacement screen, tells me that this speck of dust (or pixel anomaly) is not worthy of repair. I was a bit shocked that I have to now live with this forever. He explains that if it is dust I'll take it out the back and see if I can dislodge it or something. So he comes back after about 10min and explains that because I wasn’t explained the pixel anomaly policy the first time, they will replace it again BUT this is a very exteme circumstance AND each time this happens you run the risk of the new one having another problem and that if the new one comes back with a worse problem I am stuck, I have to live with it, no more support.

I am really shocked that when buying a new laptop, it’s like a lucky dip. You get home, open it up and it could be ok or it could be faulty. They will most probably replace it fine but it appears they may only replace it once. It the repair is faulty too, that’s it.

So I apologise for such a long post but I guess my question after all of this, just to help put my mind at rest is: From experience, does anyone know what the chances are of this latest repair coming back with either a pixel anomaly or dust under the glass? I get it back in about 1 week and if it has something wrong with the screen I don’t know what to do…live with it I guess.

Cheers.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

So many things wrong with what you've been told. First, it's true, Apple has a certain amount of dead pixels they find appropriate. If you wanted to have it repaired, that's fine they'll do it which they did. Second, for the dust, that's just a repair not handled properly - whoever did it was not careful, because it was a result off a previous repair, whoever dealt with you has no reason to even tell you what he did, the dust is on Apple, they should fix it. Third, and this one makes me laugh. You're telling me that if I have something wrong with my computer, get it repaired and it comes back again with another problem I will be denied support? What is this Genius smoking? LOL Hell, if you have 20 problems during your warranty coverage, Apple will and should repair each one (though they'll probably replace it) but telling you you'll be denied support. LOL. Great way to start the weekend...with a joke.

3. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

Maybe he was having a bad day? I mean it was dust not a pixel!

4. Yurtal thread starter macrumors member

It's just I feel like I'm in such a bad position.

I understand that apple has a policy and that replacing my original screen with only one dead pixel was really great of them. But when the repair came back with a small speck right in the middle, I thought it was worth taking in and to be given this "extreme one off offer" to re-replace the screen with the condition that if the third one comes back worse it's my tough luck.

Obviously if it came back with a massive number of problems they would re-re-replace it, but if say there policy something like "5 dead pixels or under is not worthy of repair", and it comes back with 5, they wont be lenient at all (where in other cases they would replace it) and then I'm really stuffed. I feel like I'm on the bad customer list or something holding my breath for a defect free computer.

Im not sure what to do if next week I get it back and there are more problems with it.

5. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

If you had brought it in the first month, they would have given you brand new MacBook. I experienced dust on my first MacBook after the two week return period. I went to an Apple store and they replaced it (the entire machine) because if it is dust, that would mean that the screen is not sealed properly and more could get under it. I received my new computer, went home and found another speck of debris in the middle. I went back to the Apple store the following day and they gave me a second new computer. No dust problems now.

In all honesty, you should have went to an Apple store immediately. They do have a pixel anomaly problem should you notice the pixels after a certain period (at least, that's what I was told). At variance to other computer manufactures, Apple has a much lower standard. For instance, I was told that there needed a minimum of 8 dead pixel on my Acer monitor, but Apple accepts 3 or more. Debris voids this guarantee because they are not pixels.

6. Yurtal thread starter macrumors member

I completely agree with you. I should have tackled the problem straight away and was lucky that they helped me months later. I only hope that this next repair is fault free. Which brings me back to my question, are the odds on receiving faulty displays ie dead/stuck pixel or dust high?

Also if anyone has had experience with tricky situations regarding the apple staff, is there ways to go around this, if in the event it comes back faulty again and they wont fix it, can I call the service line and re-approach the problem? or maybe a different method?

Cheers for all your help guys.

7. Toofan macrumors member

Dude, it took me 5 Macbook Alu's to find one with the lowest amount of screen defects. If you want a laptop with a flawless screen, don't buy a Mac. Btw, I felt robbed too. Apple charges a premium price for a premium product with a subpar screen.