Odds that this Macbook is repairable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maikeruyam, Dec 29, 2012.

1. maikeruyam macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

It gets power. You can select a boot device.

However, if you attempt to boot from the optical drive, you get this screen.

Any ideas?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Want version of OS X are you running and do you have access to another Mac?

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It says Unsupported CPU (In the top of screen), I think you are trying to boot from an unsupported OS Install disk.

Edit: which OS X Install version and what model Macbook?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Just what I was thinking.

5. maikeruyam thread starter macrumors newbie

Model: MC700J/A

I believe the OS install disk came with the computer. Assuming the disk is okay, what's the next likeliest scenario?

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Next likeliest is that the disc is fine.

But it's the wrong one for the computer. :) Try a retail build disc is the next step. You haven't definitively ruled out Step 1 yet, You're at $0. For $20 you're at a brand spanking new Snow Leopard retail disc.

7. krravi macrumors 65816

I had this issue on my Mac Mini a while ago. Turned out I was trying to install from a retail Snow Leopard disc.

The Apple store guy asked me to use the disk that came with the machine and it worked. I didn't know some of them were so tied to a certain version.

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Certain Mini's and Air's are pretty darned tempermental. I haven't come across a MBP yet that wouldn't boot from a retail disc.

Edit: Ok. I lie. 2010 Sandy Bridge and up won't boot from a retail SL disk because the newest retail was 10.6.3 and they require 10.6.6 or better. So in looking at the OP's model (02/2011 release 13") the SL retail disc is off the table.

Flash drive install or target disc from a newer Mac

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Your machine needs a minimum OS X version of 10.6.6 as far as I can tell, it's a Chinese Version?
    A retail disk will not work, it is not 10.6.6.

I am not sure but what happens if you press Command-R at startup, do you get the recovery boot?
    If so you can install from there.

10. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

This. Give it a shot, if you have the option, you may be able to do a clean install, or at least determine what the problem is. Are you trying to upgrade to Lion or ML?

11. krravi macrumors 65816

Its the freaking hardware drivers that make or break the installation. When Apple supplies retail version of an OS, I would hope they have bundled all the possible drivers for their various machines. But doesn't seem to be the case.