Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I measured my 11" Air and my 15" 2011 Pro. I think the keyboard was either exactly the same size, or just a few decimal places over.

The smaller machine tends to screw me up more because the smaller displays fools my hands into thinking that the keyboard is also smaller.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
The keyboard is the same width, and the main body keys are the same size. The function keys and control keys on the bottom are somewhat shorter.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I just bought the 11 inch Air 2015 model (latest one before it got discontinued) for $450 on Craigslist. I love the long battery and the look and feel of it, just wish it had a retina screen. Of course the main reason I got it was the affordability. When the 12 inch MacBook becomes available for ~$650-$750 second hand I will probably jump to that.

I find that it runs everything just fine. For Safari, Slack, Pages, and other apps I usually use throughout the day it is no different in performance than my MBP Retina 15 (2012).

I think a lot of people who complain about the specs should just pay attention to real world usage instead. Too many overpay for computers and end up using 10% of what they own.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Best Buy had the 11' air on sale on cyber Monday, they sold out online very quick.
Yep. I tried to explain to a co-worker what a great deal that was. (our local Best Buy had a few in stock) Before he could make up his mind, they were gone. (the MBA not his mind ;) )

It was probably Best Buy's last act to clear out remaining 11" MBA inventory.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It is one of the best portable PCs ever made.

Absolutely.

I have a 2014 11" MBA - a CTO - maxed out model (8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Core i7) and it has quite literally, travelled the world with me.

What a fantastic form, extremely portable, fast, powerful, reliable (and I mean completely reliable - it took Apple several iterations to get the Air absolutely right, and, from 2013, they had managed that), with a superb battery life.

This is easily the best computer I have ever had, and, to my mind, it is the very best that Apple has ever made.

I suspect that professional women love it - a no-drama, superb, fast, reliable, very portable and fantastically powerful computer - a dream machine.

Actually, I must say that I love this computer.

Have seen that complaint before, but never noticed it myself. I went from a 2008 15" MBP to a 2011 13" MBA to a 2013 11" MBA.

That is very interesting, for, as it happens, my own trajectory was something similar; a 2008 15" MBP, to a 2010 13" MBA, to a 2013 13" MBA, and a 2014 11" MBA.

Reactions: sracer and Boyd01

Fozziebear40

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Newton-le-Willows, England
I suspect that professional women love it

My wife absolutely loves her 2013 11" Air. Professional, fits in her handbag! Citrix brings in her work stuff. Takes it everywhere, no use for an iPad now, glued to it.

She panicked with the price rises on Mac's and no more Air's, what would she do if it broke? Well I bought one of the last 11" at the old price for myself which will be a spare one for her.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My wife absolutely loves her 2013 11" Air. Professional, fits in her handbag! Citrix brings in her work stuff. Takes it everywhere, no use for an iPad now, glued to it.

She panicked with the price rises on Mac's and no more Air's, what would she do if it broke? Well I bought one of the last 11" at the old price for myself which will be a spare one for her.

Excellent idea. And I can well understand why she loves it; it is a terrific computer.

I'm in the market myself for a maxed out refurb 11" MBA.

Reactions: vjl323

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago

The new MacBooks are even thinner and smaller while having a better display and more powerful features. In a few years when the Air starts having issues, I am sure she'll be happy with whatever macbook is most current by then.

Price wise you'll be able to get them for less in a few years too. Already you can find refurbished units for about a grand, occasionally less.

In the mean time, enjoy the Air. :)

Reactions: markusberger

iluvgadgets

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2015
I was able to get the 11 inch air for around $500. I love it. The size is perfect for travel . The screen isn't as nice as that of my pro , but it works . I didn't like the keyboard on the newer MacBooks , which is why I got the air.

Rory76

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2017
I bought one of the last of the 2015 maxed out (i7, 512, 8) 11" Airs. Purchased it as a backup device but never needed it. It's still in its sealed box. Anyone want to buy it? Is there a classified/used forum on this site that I could list it on? I'd love for it to find a good home!

Thanks!

Reactions: sracer and vjl323

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I bought one of the last of the 2015 maxed out (i7, 512, 8) 11" Airs. Purchased it as a backup device but never needed it. It's still in its sealed box. Anyone want to buy it? Is there a classified/used forum on this site that I could list it on? I'd love for it to find a good home!

Thanks!
Apple has been posting 11" refurbs all weekend, but they go fast. Search google for a site that lets you set up alerts for any apple refurb config. That's how I got mine a few weeks ago.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
The only thing they had to do is put in an IPS screen (with the same resolution) in the MacBook Air, and I think lots of people would have kept buying it. But Apple wants you to buy a MacBook. For it to happen, the MacBook would have to gain at least one extra USB-C port and come down in price. I don't see this happening. Really, the Air is one of the best designs Apple ever did. If only that screen was IPS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.