OEM Apple Parts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ctaylo9, Jul 12, 2015.

1. ctaylo9 macrumors newbie

ctaylo9

Hello,

Yesterday I had an unfortunate accident with my Mid 2012 MacBook Pro A1278. The LCD Panel is cracked and I'm looking for replacement parts.

I've did some research and found some third party companies that will replace just the LCD panel for around 200-350 dollars. I've read tons of reviews and found that some people have problems with glass falling out or "light leakage" through the black gasket that surrounds the glass.

I've watched Louis Rossman repair screens and he seems like he does good one and he's probably the only one that I would even allow to touch my Mac.

I think I'm going to just replace the entire panel. I've found replacement panels for 200-300 dollars on Ifixit and other websites. Does any one know if these are OEM Apple parts? Has anyone had problems with these replacement panels if they are not?

Can someone point me to a website that sells OEM parts?

Can anyone back up Louis Rossman's repairs for Mid 2012 LCD panels?

2. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Apple has mostly used LG and Samsung as laptop panel OEMs, I don't know if they have sourced panels from other companies. If you get a whole lid assembly (including the top cover, antennas, hinges, etc.), it will certainly be an original Apple part.

If you get just the panel, there's no difference if it's an original Apple part or not. The OEMs might sell the same panel for other companies too, but if the part number is the same, the panel is exactly the same as an Apple part.

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You cracked the panel and not the glass??

The panel is not hard to replace but you have to be patient getting the glass off or you will break it. Historically I've gotten the panels off ebay by searching the model number I've never gotten an incorrect one.