OEM Apple RAM or Crucial RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stark4, Dec 18, 2010.

1. stark4 macrumors 6502

i decided to upgrade my Late 08 Macbook pro from 2GB to 4GB but if you have to choose one between brand new Crucial brand RAM or OEM apple RAM that pull from brand new Macbook from ebay? which one would you choose if the price is same.

i know Crucial is a good brand with alot of good reviews but at the same time i want to original OEM Apple RAM.

Thanks

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Original Apple OEM not necessarily is new RAM.
    I prefer to buy brand new RAM and avoid used stuff.
    My store of choice is: www.macsales.com
    Excellent customer service support, decent prices and warranty policy.

3. stark4 thread starter macrumors 6502

i know OEM Apple Ram will be slightly used but is it matter at all?

thanks

4. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I always buy Crucial personally, no problems with it.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You can't go wrong with most name brand RAM. They're all quite good. OWC is what I am using and I cannot tell the difference between it and the Apple OEM.

6. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Between Crucial and eBay OEM I would choose whatever's cheapest. I don't see that there is a quality difference at all.

But there is cheaper stuff still, that is more than adequate. I have 8GB Corsair in my MBP and no issues whatsoever.

7. makinao macrumors regular

Whatever you get, make sure it has a good warranty/return policy, specially if you are buying online. There are always isolated cases of brand new ram that are not compatible with your particular unit.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If they are the same price, I'd get Crucial. They are known to be a good brand, and Apple OEM doesn't necessarily mean better. It usually means whoever offered them the best deal for the quantity they were buying. I'd just prefer to have it not be used, that way you get a warranty from the manufacturer

9. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

When it comes to ram, the brand really does not matter that much. If you say prefer a certain brand use that company. Myself I look at price and thats about it. While I do like crucial I find them to be over priced on some models.

Used ram is fine as long as it has a warranty on it. If not, personally I would pass.

For the most part all the ram is going to be very close to one another as they still have to follow the protocol set out for the specific type of memory units you are going to be getting. A DDR3 1067 will run the same as long as it is DDR3 1067.

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I ordered 8gb Crucial. Research on this and another forum have overwhelmingly positive results with it. Ide be VERY cautious of supposed 'Apple' RAM. IIRC Apple uses a few different vendors and ensuring it's OEM can be tricky. With Crucial NIB there arent any questions.

11. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

same stuff

I just upgraded my 17 from 4 to 8 from Crucial(about a week ago). The memory I received was the same manufacturer as what it was shipped with, Hynix. The only major difference was it had a crucial sticker on the other side of the memory.

If you have the money to burn I would say go with Apple. However I am fan of Crucial. I will even buy from them if they are more compared to some no-name vender because I trust them and the last thing you want is bad/flaky ram.

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Does anyone know how many companies actually MAKE the memory parts? Certain stereo parts that are sold by over a hundred different companies (each under a unique name) are only actually made by 3-5 groups so you have to wonder...

13. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Micron the parent company of Crucial used to make/assemble everything for their memory they sold(chips, printed circut boards, etc) however with the wide range of memory on the market today it is impractical to do that.

I do know know any company that does that today.