OEM ElementCase Vapor Comp Review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TheSacredSoul, Feb 10, 2012.

1. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

This is my first review so go easy on me :eek:

Got it for $60 Singapore Dollars (USD$47.60). Seller told me it's the OEM version and it's exactly the same as the original one. Was using an authentic Deff Cleave for about 3 months but decided it made the phone a little too bulky. Still love the slim profile of the iPhone 4S. Was thinking of ditching the Deff for a leather pouch but long story short, decided to go with the Vapor Comp.

The packaging was identical to the original version and had all the accessories, including the 2 spare screws. Only thing missing was the certificate of authenticity, no surprises there. :rolleyes: Also bought SGP Ultra Oleophobic screen protectors for both the front and back. Let me take the opportunity to tell you they are fantastic.

Got home and put on the Vapor in about 10 minutes. Loved how well it kept the profile of the phone still slim. Looks good too. Couldn't find any noticeable difference from the original ones. The only problem I could find with the case, and I'm sure it'll be present on the original version too, is that the plastic side gets slippery, especially if you have sweaty palms like me. Absolutely no signal loss at all. Also, one of the reasons I got rid of the Deff Cleave is because my Ultimate Ears TF10 Pro earphones couldn't fit in. Was hoping this case was fix that but it didn't. Gonna have to get an adapter for it. The tactile feedback is really nice and clicky for both volume controls and the power button. The mute switch is a little deep in so you gotta dig in your finger deeper to rich it but really isn't that much of an issue. The bottom has a huge cutout for the speakers and the 30-pin connector. I use the regular Apple charger so I can't comment how well it works with docks. Sorry about that.

For a bumper case, it does it's job. Keeping the phone slim while protecting it from knocks. I really do like it. But is it worth a 100 bucks? Probably not. 50 bucks? Maybe. I'll let the pics do the talking. Sorry about the large photos though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Leir macrumors newbie

It looks quite good! I'm a Singaporean too, could you tell me where you got it from?

3. TheSacredSoul thread starter macrumors 6502a

HardwareZone Forums. Under the Marketplace subforums. :D

4. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

This post is probably going to get down-voted into oblivion.. but this isn't an OEM case. OEM stands for "original equipment manufacturer". This company isn't ElementCase, and I highly doubt with machine work like that case [notice by the audio jack] that ElementCase purchases these cases from this company then sells them under their name.

That being said, for a knockoff, that's pretty good actually. :)

5. gjb11 macrumors regular

Just throwing this out there for anyone reading this, if anyone has a knockoff comp white they wanna sell, I'd be interested :) PM me

6. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I'm just not digging that plastic piece on these Vapor Comp cases. Fake or not, they just look cheap.

7. chiaster macrumors member

Just to highlight. There is a noticeable difference between the authentic and the knock-off. Examine the lettering inscribed into the underside of the polycarbonate piece. The letters forming "ELEMENT" have almost no spaces between them. Also, the letters forming "CASE" are of a "thicker" font and are also sort of "glued" next to each other. But having said that, these are knock-offs anyway and the quality is befitting for the price paid. Cheers.

8. tlbwriter macrumors regular

If I understand correctly, NO case can be called OEM unless it was made by Apple.