OEM Hard Drive and RAID setup

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by quesofrito, Aug 14, 2007.

1. quesofrito macrumors newbie

hello,

i just got my new mac pro a week ago. am planning on buying 2 500gb drives to store data.

2 questions:

1) should i just buy the OEM versions? will i need a cable or anything that is included in the retail box?

2) do i need to get any special hardware or software for a RAID setup? i didn't get the RAID option when i ordered my computer. i just want a redundant copy of all my data on both drives. maybe i just need to manually backup the primary drive to the second drive?

thanks.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

1) Yes
    1a) No

2) No
    2a) RAID is not backup. if you delete a file accidentally, or overwrite a file, or crash and damage somthing, your RAID1 Mirror is immediately and equally as b0rked as your primary.

I vote for a periodic backup scheduled with something like SuperDuper, which you can have back up every night if you like.

3. quesofrito thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! so would there be any benefit to having a RAID setup for me? i'm not terribly concerned about the extra 5-10 seconds of speed i may gain.

4. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

The benefit of a mirrored RAID (RAID 1) is that you can continue running if a disk fails, this can be important if downtime is going to cause a significant problem.

As stated however it doesn't provide a backup, so you also need to back up your data to another volume.

If you can cope with the time taken to do a restore from your backup, then you should probably use your second drive as a backup rather than a RAID 1.