OEM Leather band smells

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by ZhenyaF, Sep 28, 2016.

1. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I have an interesting question (I did google, but couldn't find an answer). I bought a used OEM blue leather band, it looks brand new, but as soon as I opened the box, and since that time, the band is giving off a smell (it's almost like a plastic smell). Is this normal? What can I do to get rid of it?

I've never had an OEM leather band, only after market and none of them smelled when I got them

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Could be from band itself. Leather can take a unique aroma from time to time, leather shoes, jackets and gloves all exhibit this. I would leave it out of the box and air out for a few days. It eventually should fade off.

3. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

All the classic buckle bands that I have tried and owned...NONE has an odor.

4. barto78 macrumors member

An odor or unpleasant smell when it comes to rubber or leather is usually indicative of it being fake. I have a friend who bought a couple "knock off" Scotty Cameron putters and both the rubber grip and leather head covers always smelled awful.

5. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

scotty fan myself, roll a Mil-Spec. careful buying them online, plenty of fakes roaming around. given that, my black leather loop that came with my SS AW last week and i didn't notice the smell of it.

6. ZhenyaF thread starter macrumors 6502

It came in the original box with what looks like original marking on the band. I left it outside for about a week and since that time the smell seems to have went away. I'm guessing it happened because the previous owner never wore it - but I'm not sure how plausible that is.

7. aloecool macrumors regular

my OEM classic buckle that I just got doesn't have a smell (also sat in a box for a long time since I updated from a first gen SG to SS), and leather shouldn't smell like plastic even if it has a smell. Might be a fake...

8. Kyle76 macrumors regular

Kyle76

My new OEM Classic Buckle in saddle brown has the faint smell of new shoes, a combination of shoe polish and leather.