OEM != warranty? and Rebate Info

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Adros, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Adros macrumors member

So I'm ordering a new 2.93 quad and want to have a couple of Western Digital VelociRaptor as boot drives for OS X and Vista. I have two questions about the hard drive listed on newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136322

So I checked and it has the HLFS designation, so it should slot right in. One of the features mentioned though is the mounting frame it comes in. Being the paranoid buyer that I am I just wanted to get an experienced fellow to confirm that shouldn't effect things in the slightest.

Next, the drive is listed as OEM, and I don't see a manufacturer warranty listed on the page... I read elsewhere OEM drives probably don't come with the full standard warranty and may not have all the regular hardware, (screws and such)what I should expect with this if I order it?

Thanks for all responses guys!

2. sboerup macrumors 6502

OEM means that it doesnt not come with anything except the bare drive. No cable, no fancy box, no instructions. Thats it.

HLFS is correct, it will slot right into the Mac Pro drive bays.

3. ender78 macrumors 6502

Up until recently, OEM drives had a way better warranty than the drives that you could buy at retail at places like Best Buy. I had to get a Seagate OEM drive repaired and I had a replacement drive in less than 3 days.