OEM XP Home from New Egg

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by diggum, Jan 21, 2008.

1. diggum macrumors newbie

Sorry to bring up the OEM vs. Retail thing again, but I'm a little confused.

I purchased this version of Windows XP Home from New Egg to install on my iMac (since so many here recommended it).
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056

There was no Product Key on the envelope (at least that I can see) or anywhere else for that matter, so there seems to be no way to install it. I emailed New Egg, and they said that they cannot provide another Product ID or Product Key, and that I should contact Microsoft.

I'm not sure what to tell MS. That the OEM version I purchased didn't come with a Product Key? Is MS going to ask me anything? What do I tell MS?

Thanks
    Rick

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The serial number should most certainly come attached to the packaging. It is a peel-off label, however, so check that it hasn't come loose in transit and wound up attached to the packing materials.

NewEgg MUST provide the serial, however - otherwise the package is incomplete. If you paid via credit card, you might want to contact your CC company - they may be able to ensure you receive a refund.