OEM XP Home from New Egg

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by diggum, Jan 21, 2008.

1. diggum macrumors newbie

Jan 21, 2008
    Sorry to bring up the OEM vs. Retail thing again, but I'm a little confused.

I purchased this version of Windows XP Home from New Egg to install on my iMac (since so many here recommended it).

There was no Product Key on the envelope (at least that I can see) or anywhere else for that matter, so there seems to be no way to install it. I emailed New Egg, and they said that they cannot provide another Product ID or Product Key, and that I should contact Microsoft.

I'm not sure what to tell MS. That the OEM version I purchased didn't come with a Product Key? Is MS going to ask me anything? What do I tell MS?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

Jan 18, 2005
    The serial number should most certainly come attached to the packaging. It is a peel-off label, however, so check that it hasn't come loose in transit and wound up attached to the packing materials.

NewEgg MUST provide the serial, however - otherwise the package is incomplete. If you paid via credit card, you might want to contact your CC company - they may be able to ensure you receive a refund.