Of Cars, Line Input, and Charging...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by neoelectronaut, May 3, 2007.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I'll be purchasing a new '07 Ford Fusion in a few days, and it has a minijack line input for MP3 players. Finally I can ditch my iTrip, even though it has served me faithfully for many years.

But, this is my question:

Which method should I use to connect my iPod? Should I just use the standard Firewire car charger for charging and use a cable from the the headphone jack to the line input? Or, should I somehow rig up a dock in the vehicle so I can get a true Line Out so I won't have the variable volume on the iPod itself?

Does a car charger exist with a line output?

If it matters, I have a 3G 30GB iPod.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I saw the Belkin Auto Kit at work (I work at a CompUSA) and I considered it, but what concerns me is that it has a volume knob on the charger itself. Almost defeats the purpose in a way. as far as the Pocketdock, something to definitely consider. Right now I use the original iTrip in conjunction with a DLO firewire charger, so I could keep that, and use a standard 6pin to 6pin firewire cable in addition. Hmm.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

4. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i'd say keep things simple and just have the minijack from your car stereo to your ipod, turn its volume to max and play your music. charging your ipod every five minutes will ultimately kill its battery a lot faster than it would if you were using it properly. i doubt any of us listen to 10 hours of music in one sitting, so you can just charge it when you get back home or something, that's what i do.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW the preamp gain knob on the Belkin is pretty stiff/inaccessible so you won't be accidentally changing it. The goal of it is to set the level you want out of the pre-amp.

B