Of Mice and Men (keyboards, actually)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by garycurtis, Jan 24, 2014.

1. garycurtis macrumors 6502

OK. I got a new iMac. No operating manual. No guides to the OS. No love. No tenderness.

This doesn't surprise me. Apple is a minimalist enterprise. So whenever I upgrade to a new OS, I buy the latest Missing Manual by David Pogue. And I log onto this forum to learn.

But what about the latest wireless mouse and keyboard? Both have batteries. Well hidden. And both have power switches. It should be obvious that to save power, it is better to switch off the mouse when you go to bed.

And what about the keyboard? If you tap on the end where the batteries are inserted, a cryptic green light above the EJECT key lights up. Then it blinks. Then it blinks some. This goes on for awhile. Does this indicate that the keyboard is searching for a blutooth connection, or is it powering down? Or, is this a message from Steve Jobs dwelling in a different realm?

Tell us what to do, please.:)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense but most people don't need a manual for keyboards or mice - both are pretty much plug and play.

As for turning off, I don't turn off the mouse. The batteries seem to last a decent amount of time for me. I don't own a wireless keyboard so I can't comment on that.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Have both and never switch them off. They go to sleep when not in use.

Now tell me about the rabbits....

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Firstly, thank you for the chuckle (that goes for you too Apple fanboy).

Secondly, I've come to realize over the years that Apple does have instruction manuals, but they prefer to have them online and not pack them in with their products. You can go to http://support.apple.com/manuals/ and browse, but I've pasted the links to the wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse below.

I think it's a cost saving and environmental issue, as well as allowing Apple to update any mistakes in their manuals easily.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_Wireless_Keyboard_2009_UG.pdf
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_Magic_Mouse_UG.pdf

5. ABCDEF-Hex macrumors 6502

ABCDEF-Hex

If you have to preface with "no offense" - don't reply at all.

Please refer to Skorpien's reply for an intelligent example - pretty snarky for a "moderator".

6. Bear macrumors G3

Don't worry about the keyboard. As for the mouse, that's your call. Some people turn off the mouse, some don't.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As I mentioned I don't have the wireless keyboard - how long does the batteries last? I've been tempted to get one of these as that will mean I can live without a USB hub.

The batteries in my mouse last a fairly long time, and as I mention I just use it without shutting it off. Its a pain to always wait for it to be reconnected when turning it off.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

The keyboard lasts a lot longer than the mouse in my experience.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Cool thanks, when I visit my local apple store, I'll have to pick up a keyboard :D