# of Paritions Limit on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Samuriajackon, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I've set up boot camp before and i know I've heard of other people using MacOSx, Windows, and LInux all on one HD with different partitions, but will the Mac have a limit to how many partitions I can have on one HD? I think i wanna run 4 OS's on one HD; OSX, WinXP-SP2, Windows7 Beta, and some Linux/Unix(maybe Free BSD or something cheap).

THanks for the Help.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

IIRC from my last partitioning venture, you can have at least 22 partitions with GUID.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No idea what the limit is, and this is off topic...

Having your e-mail address in your signature is a really bad idea, I'd remove them if I were you.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I believe that technically with perfect GUID Partition Table implementations there is no upper limit. Of course we don't live in a perfect world. The Wikipedia article notes that 64-bit version of Windows have a limit of 128 partitions on a GPT based drive. It makes no such not for OSX (although there may be a limit imposed here too)...

5. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I think for any kind of practical use you will not run out of available partitions in either Windows or OS X.

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

You will definitely be able to install 4 OS's.