% of time in OS X vs other OS

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pseudoware, Jan 2, 2016.

1. pseudoware macrumors member

pseudoware

An informal survey, just out of curiosity.

On your Mac, what % of your time is spent on Windows, Linux, whatever vs OS X?

During work, I'm ~80% Windows 10.
    Personal time, 95% OS X.

I run W10 in a VM exclusively for work. During "me" time, I try to avoid starting that up.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

3. Mikael H macrumors 6502

At work: Almost 100% OS X, but I spend a lot of time on Windows, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD and different (often Linux based) appliances via RDP, SSH and various web interfaces.
    At home: Gaming: GNU/Linux. Work and most casual surfing: OS X and iOS. Then I have some servers and appliances on various distributions of GNU/Linux and FreeBSD-derivatives.

4. ajay96 macrumors 6502

I would say that I am 50-50. I use OS X when at home, but If i'm in college, I use Windows.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With my iMac, I'm 90% in OS X and 10% in Windows.
    On my Surface Pro 3, its 100% in windows :p

Seriously, though with the iMac, I find myself to be in OS X most of the time, before getting my iMac in November, I was probably in windows 75% of the time and OS X 25%.

6. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

If I don't count testing a few Linux distributions in live mode, it's 100% OS X.

I have a Windows 8.1 VM in Parallels just because of a VPN client and Remote Desktop. I needed it only for about an hour every month and there was no way to do it with OS X. I tried everything. Gladly I don't need it anymore now.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If I count my time at work, then predominately my OS time is in Windows. I recently purchased a Windows 10 PC for at home and now I spend more time on Windows there too, than OS X. I use my MBP more casually these days when I'm in front of the TV.

8. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Windows is a vexation to the spirit. I used to live in Linux, but nowadays it's almost all OS X.

9. pam14160 macrumors newbie

pam14160

I basically split the difference by half. . .enjoy using both. . .:)

10. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

I have bootcamp installed for gaming. If I've got something I'm playing, I might stay in Windows for weeks at a time. Before I installed my SSD boot times took long enough that I didn't really want to switch but with my new drive, switching is a matter of seconds so I'll jump back and forth to do anything besides light web browsing.

My Macbook does not have bootcamp and I keep it in OS X 100% of the time so even if I'm in Windows, I have OS X at hand. I guess technically the means OS X 100% Windows 40% ?

11. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

As a contractor, it's hard to give a percentage for work as it depends to some extent on the client I'm working for. My last role the client wanted me to use a PC on their network so I spent almost 100% of the time using Windows 7. Did a few things on my MBA, but not much. Other clients expect me to use my own equipment, and in that case I'll be using the MBA but probably spending a little time in a Windows 10 VM through VMware Fusion and occasionally through Bootcamp.

At home, everyone is connecting to everything through OSX or iOS but I have a server running FreeNAS with a number of jails including one for VirtualBox running a Windows 10 VM 24x7 and various test VMs running various Linux distros and FreeBSD.

12. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

100% OS X for personal, school and work. I would love to have Windows 7 or 10 to play games, but it costs $$$.