Off and on rmbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Roadking714, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Roadking714 macrumors regular

Is it good to always shut down and then power on when needed? Or is it bad for a laptop

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Just use it any way as you please, for it's designed to be done both ways.

3. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Turning a computer on, introduces stresses that aren't there by putting it to sleep. The only time I shut my computer down is when I put it in my travel bag. Other then that, I either leave it on, it put it to sleep.

5. Android300zx macrumors regular

On my last Macbook (Late 2009 model) I never shut it down. I don't plan to do that for this one either.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

This is a good rule I use:

If I am not going to be using the computer in the next 48 hours, I shut it down. Otherwise, I leave it on all of the time. Basically Monday-Friday I leave it on. On the weekends I power it down.

A somewhat related note is keeping it plugged in. You do not want to run the battery all the way down and recharge it. If you have the ability to, you can leave it plugged in all of the time. The batteries do not need "training" like batteries of old.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Apple suggests that you do at least one drain and charge cycle per month though.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I believe that is if you only use it plugged in. So I guess you should use it as a "laptop" sometimes.

9. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Proof? I maintain that is complete nonsense and it doesn't matter whether you shut down or put the computer to sleep, especially with solid state drives.

Indeed, if you have filevault 2 installed I would recommend shutting it down. Putting the computer to sleep leaves the computer able to read the encrypted partition and have it accessed via the thunderbolt port. Not good if you have sensitive data and the laptop is stolen. Shutting it down means that without the password, the laptop will not decrypt the drive.

10. bits macrumors member

I don't use FileVault 2, but in login options I have selected "Automatic login" to off, after wake up or turn on I have to write password. I don't think that "normal" people can read from FileVault or RAM when computer is in sleep mode.

Found on the Internet:

By the way, if you use your laptop every day, you better put to sleep. Sometimes you need to restart after upgrade. If you do not use it for a few days, you can turn it off.

11. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

OK I accept the bug has been fixed, but there is still no proof that shutting down has a detrimental affect over putting it to sleep. Especially in these days of SSDs.

12. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

If I put it to sleep should I always keep it plugged in?

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No.

14. snaky69 macrumors 603

Care to back that up?

Unless we're talking mechanical hard drives, which do wear out slightly each time they start and stop, a fully solid state computer doesn't go through any more stresses regardless of the way it is used as far as I'm concerned.

The only stresses a rMBP goes through is the expansion and contraction of components with temperature, which can eventually damage solder joints. Putting the machine to sleep vs shutting it down will make absolutely no difference between the two, as the machine'll reach room temperature anyhow and will go through the same heat cycling.

----------

Do whatever you like. It's a machine, not a priceless work of art.

No matter how much you try to take care of your battery, it'll still die in about 3 to 5 years, 6 if you're lucky, simply from old age.

Use your machine and stop worrying about it, surely you have something more important to do with your time?

15. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea like making my 2000 dollar product last...

16. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's a computer

The only way to make it last is not to use it. There is no point in spending $2000 on something and then being to scared to use it how you wish.

I'm all for looking after your products but all this nit picking about turning them on and what to do about batteries etc is pointless nonsense will make no difference to the life of your machine and is bordering on insanity.

It doesn't matter how much it cost it is still just another PC and they fail when they fail.

17. GoofyCyborg macrumors member

I totally agree with you. I do like to look after my stuff as best I can but at the end of the day I use them for their intended purpose.

There are some real weird people out there going by some of the questions asked and comments made on this site! :eek:

I save most if not all my worrying for my children, wife and family! :)

18. snaky69 macrumors 603

Put it on a pedestal, under a glass dome.

It'll last nearly forever that way.

When I spend 2 grand on anything, I expect to actually use it.

19. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

I use it believe me I just don't abuse it.. it's like everything else i dont buy a car and drive to the ground because I paid x amount of dollars for it.. I like to take care of my stuff.. Seems like some of you get offended by certain questions if that's the case stay off the post if what I say or others makes your granny panties bunch up

20. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'm not offended, if that's what you believe.

The computer will last as long as it will last, bar an accident like a spill or a malfunction.

My point was that no amount of fussing over it or anything for that matter will change that. Thus, it is my opinion that your time would be better off spent in another way.

If you disagree with that, and would rather spend time worrying about what you have no control over, then that's your choice.

21. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

Opinions are like ********** everyone has one don't worry about what I do on my time if I feel like asking a question about something I'm gonna do so and if you don't like it move on!

22. snaky69 macrumors 603

You're allowed to ask the question, just as I'm allowed to provide an answer. Nobody said anything about liking (or not) said question. No need to get angry if that answer doesn't suit you. If anything, you're the one "getting your granny panties in a bunch".

I wish you a good day nonetheless. Enjoy your mac!

23. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

Gracias Amigo.. Likewise