Off centre screenshot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blowpipes, Sep 30, 2010.

1. blowpipes macrumors newbie

Howdy - I wonder if anyone's come across this and can help. I'm trying to take an whole window screenshots by pressing CMD-SHIFT 4 then the space bar. When I click the mouse it takes the shot. But when I view the image it is off centre and has shaved 20 or 30 or so pixels off the right side.

I'm running Snow leopard on a quad core hackintosh. I'm hoping the problem is the not the hackintosh element...if you need any more info let me know. Can anyone advise?

I've attached an example

Much appreciated

Attached Files:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am going to guess that it IS the hackintosh element as you put it
    What hardware specs are you using? And what version of SL?

3. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Oh I know this one!

When you use the Spacebar option for screenshots, you will notice it adds the shadow around the edge of the chosen window.
    OS X seems to only be able to create screenshots as large as your screen's resolution, so when you have a window which takes up the whole screen, it cuts off the right and bottom due to the extra space taken up by the shadows.

Try shrinking your window to take the picture, or just use command-shift-3 to take a whole screen image.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^^ That appears to be the case in my testing, so good job!

The best solution seems to be to use 3 instead of 4 as suggested above

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not a free option, but if you take a lot of screen shots, I recommend little snapper It has the ability to take screen shots, of areas, windows, scrolling windows. Stores them in library to further annotate, or edit and from there you can then upload to an FTP site of your choosing or the cloud where realmacsoftware offers a service.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There is also Skitch, which I have found quite useful at times

7. blowpipes thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah looks like that's what I'll have to do. In terms of it being a hackintosh issue MacDawg, I was fine taking shots in this way on a macbook pro using tiger - shadows and all in tact all the way around. On a mac clone using L 10.6.4 it doesn't work. I've just checked my macbook pro now running SL and it is wrong on this too... so I think that could be the answer. Now then, just need to find out why..

Thanks for all your replies chaps - much appreciated