Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmwils1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Is it possible to buy a Verizon iPhone 6 off contract from an apple store? My contract expires in 3 months and at that time I want to switch to another carrier (likely Tmobile) so I don't want to extent my current contract. I called Apple and the rep told me that they don't sell Verizon phones without a contract. I'd like to pay full retail ($749) for a 64GB model, but he told me that they don't sell them. I really want to be able to use the phone on Verizon now and then on Tmobile in 3 months. I read that Verizon won't activate a phone that was purchased to use with another carrier.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Is it possible to buy a Verizon iPhone 6 off contract from an apple store? My contract expires in 3 months and at that time I want to switch to another carrier (likely Tmobile) so I don't want to extent my current contract. I called Apple and the rep told me that they don't sell Verizon phones without a contract. I'd like to pay full retail ($749) for a 64GB model, but he told me that they don't sell them. I really want to be able to use the phone on Verizon now and then on Tmobile in 3 months. I read that Verizon won't activate a phone that was purchased to use with another carrier.

I see no reason why Apple wouldn't sell at retail, but I guess it depends on the store and the number they have on hand. Best bet is to go in and see what they say, versus calling. Also, Verizon won't activate any phone that is not sold by them, or who's IMEI/ESN is not in their database (and they won't add them from other carriers/devices).

crazinavy

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Not sure why your apple store won't sell you an iPhone off contract. I bought the 64 gb VZW iPhone 6 off contract yesterday

jmwils1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
This was per a rep at the 800 number, not the actual store. I'll try there tomorrow. Just wanted to check before I made a 30 mile drive

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
I see no reason why Apple wouldn't sell at retail, but I guess it depends on the store and the number they have on hand. Best bet is to go in and see what they say, versus calling. Also, Verizon won't activate any phone that is not sold by them, or who's IMEI/ESN is not in their database (and they won't add them from other carriers/devices).

Not true you can buy an iPhone from any major retailer at full retail, call verizon and have them add it to your plan. Done this for 3 years straight.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Don't call Apple and ask them anything. They don't know anything. Just go into the store and buy it full price. Tell them you don't want to use an upgrade on your line and would rather pay full price. It's actually more profitable for them.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Not true you can buy an iPhone from any major retailer at full retail, call verizon and have them add it to your plan. Done this for 3 years straight.

Let me re-phrase. Verizon won't activate a phone that wasn't sold for use on their network (ie: they won't activate a Sprint device, AT&T, etc) that is from another *carrier* which was what the OP had referred to - not sure if they meant Verizon not selling one knowing it won't be used on their (Verizon) network, or a device brought from another carrier, TO Verizon.

jmwils1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Just for follow-up:

Got in line at the local apple store and bought a 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 at full retail price off contract (no papers signed), popped out the sim on my iPhone 5, inserted it in the iPhone 6 and it's up and running without any problems.

In 3 months when the Verizon contract is up, I'll say goodbye and not look back.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
If I do buy an verizon off contract, will it be unlocked for use on att/tmobile?

Yes, factory unlocked and will work with any GSM network.

I'm using the Verizon 6Plus right now on Tmobile ...Heck, I even used the 5S from Verizon on TMobile for a good 8 months !

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
went to apple store this morning. there were about 5 people in the iPhone line outside the door. I asked the apple guy if the verizon phone was unlocked, he said i'd have to take it to a store to have it unlocked. It seemed like he *had* to say that. I'd be surprised if he didn't know.

I ordered a verizon 128gb iphone 6 space grey. The next guy said 'you've done your homework'. Got it, plugged my AT&T sim in, and it works perfectly.

I did get an instant text message from AT&T saying:

ATT Free Msg: Your new device requires a new SIM card to give you access to all services. Please visit your local ATT store to get a new SIM. Thanks.

I read that this has to do with volte. Everything works great. perfect size phone. And no contract handcuffs.

zzoomp09

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
nordern nu joizee
I have TMo and bought a Verizon iPhone6 at full price at the Apple Store. It depends on the store if they'll allow you to buy one at full price without an AT&T or Verizon account, so far it's not that hard. Calling Apple is worthless as they're all reading their memos that they don't sell unlocked phones and won't sell one if you don't have an AT&T, Verizon, Sprint or TMo account. If they still have TMo stock, that one is unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.