Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Hi all,

In my everlasting pursuit to minimise my belongings, I'm wondering if I can cope without a computer and just use an iPad.

I'm prepared to forego buying CDs and blu-rays in favour of the ITunes Store and using Match if necessary.

It's my personal photos where I think I'd struggle. My iPhoto library (on my Air) is about 70Gb, which includes home movies too.

I know that all won't fit on an iPad so is there a way to off load some of my photos or videos to an online server but also be able to view them b iPhoto?

Many thanks.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
Hi all,

In my everlasting pursuit to minimise my belongings, I'm wondering if I can cope without a computer and just use an iPad.

I'm prepared to forego buying CDs and blu-rays in favour of the ITunes Store and using Match if necessary.

It's my personal photos where I think I'd struggle. My iPhoto library (on my Air) is about 70Gb, which includes home movies too.

I know that all won't fit on an iPad so is there a way to off load some of my photos or videos to an online server but also be able to view them b iPhoto?

Many thanks.

Nope! :) Not in iPhoto anyway. That's not how Apple does things. There might be a jailbreak way around this but that would mean you'd have to delay upgrading to new iOS releases until the new jailbreak comes along, which can take a long time.

However you can get apps that connect to servers and let you view images. Or Dropbox, for example. You just won't have any of the nice fanciness of album organisation or, probably, things like rotating and zooming pics.

If you really want your pics on your ipad, your best bet might be to create copies of your pics and either shrink them in resolution or save out lower resolution versions of them. This should reduce them in size enough to fit on an iPad. But you'll still need somewhere to store the originals although you might be able to store them on a series of DVD-Rs.

As with all questions about whether an iPad can be somebody's main computer, the answer is "yes", but only if you have a desktop or laptop as backup somewhere. For students this could be something like leaving the main computer at their parents' house and taking the iPad to college.

Bluemeanie1976

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
I would imagine something like a pro photobucket account would be your best bet. You can bulk upload to photobucket from iPhoto using the photobucket add-on from their website. You should be able to upload full size pics from photo, and then just use the iPad app to upload, download, and all that jazz.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
Or you can get a Flickr paid account and load your pictures there. You can download on and off several apps (flickr +, FlickStackr and others) if you need a particular photo and upload from your pad if you take a picture. There are plently of places online to keep your photos but you have to pay for the space and put up privacy so no others can access.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
I too want to store pictures and videos on my iPad. I have about 50gb (~20,000 pictures). I would like to store about half of those on my iPad. Can the iPad (iPhoto camera roll) handle 10,000 files? I have moved about 1,000 using Photo Transfer App and they are available in various albums. However they all accumulate in Camera Roll.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I too want to store pictures and videos on my iPad. I have about 50gb (~20,000 pictures). I would like to store about half of those on my iPad. Can the iPad (iPhoto camera roll) handle 10,000 files? I have moved about 1,000 using Photo Transfer App and they are available in various albums. However they all accumulate in Camera Roll.

Not aware of any capacity limitations for the camera roll. What you ought to do is sync your photos with iTunes. This gets them out of your camera roll. No need to use the Photo Transfer App either.

I might try the paid Flickr account, but something makes me uneasy about uploading so many pics up into the cloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.