Off site data backup solution?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eradik, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Eradik macrumors regular

Hello everyone. I'd first like to say sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, but this was the closest to a general forum I could find. :)

I've finally started to backup my MBP. I've got one that I keep on my desk configured with Time Machine.

I also have a second drive that is being used as I type with Carbon Copy Cloner for a complete drive clone.

Since it's pointless to have 2 backups sitting on my desk and I want to be protected in case of a fire, where can I store the CCC backup? Obviously friends/parents house is an option, but I'd like something I can get to it easier (otherwise I'd never update it). My idea was a car trunk.

I found little info on this online, so I was hoping to get some of your opinions on it. Obviously, wrapped in a towel and secured to something so it doesn't bounce around, and maybe a ziplock bag or something to keep condensation out.

Would this be viable? Provided I don't move it from extreme temps (i.e. cold during winter) and use it, it should be fine, correct?

What do you all think? Thanks :)

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Use an online service. Amazon / Jungle Disk and Mozy are two I am aware of, I am sure there are many others.
    Put your your second disk in another room.