Off-Site Data Storage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by uMac, Jul 31, 2007.

1. uMac macrumors 6502

Is there a way to put a harddrive on a network for file storage and connect to it over the internet.

I am currently thinking of doing this (250GB) to store important files for my projects in case my HD fails or god-forbid computer is damaged or stolen.

The location of storage would be at my parent's house, they have pretty standard high speed internet & router setup. And they don't fully utilize the high speed capabilities (web surfing & email).

I'm not looking to spend a lot on this (other then the cost of the HD). They operate in the PC, I operate in Mac.

Suggestions on how this may be achieved? Alternatives?

uMac

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The way i do it is rather manual, that is to say i physically move the backup media (harddrive and dvds) from my computer location to my girlfriends house.

3. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Gee Golly Gee!

The point of this process is so that I don't have to physically move Data Back & Forth (Damage during travel, inconvenience, black-out periods between back-ups).

It's easy to add an applescript to copy/paste all my files at shutdown to the backupdrive elsewhere once I figure out how to get the drive setup.

In the PC world, I have my computer Sync Data with a Server, but for Mac's I'm not sure how to set this up (or if its possible).

uMac

4. applehero macrumors 6502

I would think all you would need to do is set up the HD as a server, obtain and assign an IP address to it that you could access from your place, and done.

5. A Cute Baby Lam macrumors newbie

Yeah, the tricky thing I see is the IP. If your parents have a static IP you should be set, but if they have a dynamic one you will have to find out what it is and update your script every time you want to run. You could setup something like dyndns.com to solve that issue for yourself tho.

6. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

See if there's an "rsync" emulating server for windows, rsync is one of the best ways (on 'nix) to sync files between two locations with the fastest speed.