Off the phone with Support and I can't believe what I was told!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tomasmekean, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Tomasmekean macrumors member

Hello and let me first say that I have only been a Apple Fan for about a year and a half. I have purchased Apple products for several years, but never a computer. In the past year I have purchased three macbook pro's, two iphones, an appleTV, and an apple extreme. So with all this money going to apple I guess I expected a little more than what I got when I called for support on one of my macbook pros. I purchased this computer on 6/14/07. On 1/19/08 I noticed that my latch wasn't locked on my macbook pro. I called the apple store that I purchased my computer from. I selected 2 for tech support and was transferred after answering a few questions a gentleman game to the phone. I told him my problem and he asked for my name. The computer was registered to someone else. I had to do a double take b/c I purchased this computer new. Well anyway after he took all of my info they mailed a box and the computer was sent in for repair. Four days later I received my computer. I noticed that the latch still wasn't fixed a few days later. The macbook pro has two latches that come down when the computer is closed and mine has only one. I called back to support and after a brief hold a gentleman came to the phone. I told him that I just noticed that my computer wasn't fixed after all and couldn't believe that something this simple to fixed wasn't taken care of the first time. I need this computer for work and now I will have to send it back. The gentleman said we will get this taken care of and that he was sorry for the inconvenience. Then he said something that I didn't understand I said excuse me and he said well that they waived the call and that I should be happy about that. I said please explain how service was waived and that I should be happy. He then placed me on hold and wouldn't go further with the conversation. after about twenty mins of being on hold he came back and said that I was being elevated to another level of support and that it would take another thirty mins or so but they would have to further help me in my mater. So after being on hold fifty-four mins another gentleman came on the line. He sounded aggravated and said sir I will have a box mailed to you is there anything else I can do for you. I said well yes you can. I was on hold for fifty-four mins for something that should have taken ten or less. Will you please explain to me what the gentleman before you was talking about? Why am I so lucky that service was waived. He proceeded to tell me that they waived the phone support sense it was after ninety days, and that only people with the extended warranty get the privilege with calling into support. I asked him then how was I supposed to get support on my computer. He said drive the 200 miles to a local apple store. I was silent I didn't know what to say.. Needless to say it didn't take long for me to get upset! Is this what apple is coming too? I called the store I purchased the computer and asked for the manager. I am awaiting a phone call. Please tell me if this is the norm? Here is a direct quote from apple's web page. Please let me know if anyone else is having the same problem with apple.

The Mac Warranty

Every Mac comes with complimentary, unlimited telephone support within 90 days of purchase — perfect for questions about setting up your Mac, using Mac OS X, and more.

Your Mac hardware and all included accessories are also covered against rare defects for a full year from the purchase date by a limited hardware warranty. If you do experience problems, even the process to get service is simple and easy. You can take your Mac to a local Apple Store, call our toll-free support line, or start your service request with our online form.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Nope, this is normal for them. After 90 days, you need to pony up the dough for phone support.

3. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

Time Machine is sweet.

4. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

well? what does this have to do with?

well apple phone support sucks..we know this

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm confused; what's the problem?

Your phone support fee was waived because it was a hardware problem.

Basically, after the first 90 days, phone support is limited to hardware problems only. When you call they get your billing info, but the fee is waived if the problem is hardware related.

...This is exactly what they told you, no?

6. seenett macrumors regular

If it is standard procedure that a phone support fee is waived for a hardware issue, why did the phone support guy(s) say the OP was "lucky" for getting it waived?

Makes it sound like they pulled some strings out of pure generosity just to get him what he was always entitled to.

7. Tomasmekean thread starter macrumors member

The service rep said that I couldn't call in for tech support for a hardware problem unless I purchased the extended warranty. He said that they were doing me a favor by allowing me to talk to them. That is what I was so shocked by.

I have talked to the manager of the apple store and he assured me that this is not the case. During the year of your limited hardware warranty you can call in for support. If it is not hardware related they will ask for you to pay for the service. If it is hardware then of course it is handled under warranty. I was told that they would review the situation and notify me once it is complete and that they would expedite the repair.

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The quote above the time machine reference. They purchased it after they discovered the problem with the latch.

9. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

LoL Looks like someone didn't get the joke :p

10. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Aww, I was expecting some "omg a mac representative confirmed the new macbook pro" post.

Lol I got it after reading a few posts down.

11. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

that is ****....

it isnt like you were calling for tech support, you were calling to get a repair order going.

Apple's support ppl are pompus asses, i know this because the apple plant that is here in Elk Grove, CA use to manufacture the orginal iMac G3, ever since they stopped making that this place is just a distribution center and tech support. I have met many ppl that work there for tech support. They are some of the dumbest ppl i have ever met.

12. nslyax macrumors regular

If you call with hardware issues, Apple will pretty much always waive the phone support fee. If you mention any type of dissatisfaction, they will then mention that they waived it to make you feel "special".

Even if you are totally out of warranty, as my mom was, if you have the computer repaired they will refund the phone support. I have to say though, $60 to ask them for a box is a little ridiculous (what my mom was charged before being refunded).

13. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Maybe your initial call was misdirected to the Phone Support people instead of the Warranty Repair people.

I do believe they are two different groups.

15. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

LOL! Apparently somebody is still thinking back a year. I think he is referring to 2008 in the second date :D. I on occasion have put 07 down on dates that were technically 2008. That error is fixed immediately after I realize it.

16. briandadude macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure Apple can take a slice off of the profit they make on each Mac sale and use that to pay their support people.

Paying for phone support after you spend a premium on a product is dumb, but I guess they figure that if you'll pay that much for a computer you'll spend $60 to wait on the phone for an hour for someone to say "We'll send you a box."

Was that a rumor about having to pay to enter Apple Stores a while back?
    If it was, I wouldn't be surprised if they do start charging for admission. As if it's some sort of museum with products we should be so lucky to gaze upon.

:p

17. divedeepfl305 macrumors newbie

This is what happen with me..

I bought a Macbook pro around the same time 6/07 My brother in law broke the screen by putting a projector on top of it by accident. It was in a sleeve and didn't know what was in it. I take it to the store tier 4 repair 1300.00 dollars mind you I have applecare but it doesn't cover this. Well I sent it in and the repair wasnt to my satisfaction so I called apple and asked for "DiSPATCH" very important. Dispatch came on and cut my repair cost to 600.00 for the mistake. I sent it in again the computer again was not fixed properly I called again in result they said take it to the store we will give you a brand new one!! So in all I got a new laptop for 600.00 that the repair cost was. So all in all you need to talk to the right people over there!!

18. jboyd122 macrumors newbie

Wow, people need to mellow out. Purchasing a mac doesn't entitle you to some sort of extra treatment. If you need the white glove service then you need to buy applecare. It sounds to me like they took care of your problem yes? The fact that you live 200 miles from the nearest apple store should have factored into your decision wether or not you purchased applecare. From the sound of it you fired off at the support person on the phone pretty quickly after not getting the "how high" response to your jump command. In my experience as a support desk tech this is not the best way to get the results you were looking for.

19. sevimli macrumors 6502a

You proud of that? They just did what they supposed to do. You paid something for your broken laptop right, then you did the math wrong.

20. divedeepfl305 macrumors newbie

Proud

I am proud of that considering the repair cost was 1300.00 and was brought down to 600.00 and a brand spanking new laptop.