Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Off to college in 3 months, Should I wait?

Jaxyuys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2018
2
2
I have been wanting a Macbook Pro for sometime now, but i will need one for sure for college. Should I go ahead and buy 2017 macbook pro or should i wait to see if there is a new one in the next few months. What are the chances?
 

ilikewhey

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2014
1,832
1,975
nyc upper east
very highly likely they will update to 6 core for 15 inch and 4 core for 13 inch. given what the high end windows laptops are getting.
 
Comment

maerz001

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
1,630
1,284
Like on the hundreds of other posts: Wait if u can, buy if you need
 
Comment

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
67,156
34,278
Boston
Wait, since you won't be off to college until August, why not see what apple does (or doesn't do) at WWDC
 
Comment

PatrycjaKozdra

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
58
21
Toronto
I have been wanting a Macbook Pro for sometime now, but i will need one for sure for college. Should I go ahead and buy 2017 macbook pro or should i wait to see if there is a new one in the next few months. What are the chances?

I would definitely wait. Apple always has Back To School deals - Free Beats headphones I believe last year.

In addition, if you are a student you can save about $150 of a MacBook using your student ID to purchase the MacBook. There is two good reasons to wait ;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sully
Comment

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
20,431
7,246
There will almost certainly be a 2018 model MacBook Pro introduced before school begins in late August/September.

Unless you absolutely positively "need one RIGHT NOW", I'd wait and see what develops...
 
Comment

silber

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2009
32
22
The chances are non zero. No one posting here will be able to adequately estimate whether there will be an update by then or or not.
 
Comment

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
168
151
Orlando, FL
Buy a used but good condition 2015 15" MBP. They've depreciated about as much as they can atm, known durable, still highly sought after, usable ports. If Apple fesses up to the keyboard fiasco on the 2016/2017 and revises the keyboard/offers a replacement or trade in plan then you can sell the 2015 and buy a 2018.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.