Off to University - How do I clean up my Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lizegb, Apr 6, 2015.

1. lizegb, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015

lizegb macrumors newbie

I'm starting university in September and was wanting to clear/ reset my mac (air) because it is completely full of rubbish that I have accumulated.
    Does anyone know how I would go about this. If this isn't possible should I delete applications ect to clear space. At the moment I have no space due to saving too many tumblr and instagram pictures, oh well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Liz :)

2. motrek macrumors 68020

There's a shareware program called Disk Inventory X, here:

http://download.cnet.com/Disk-Inventory-X/3000-2248_4-47967.html

You can run this and it will give you some nice views of what's taking up space on your computer. Maybe you have a bunch of files that you don't want anymore but you forgot about.

If you want to wipe your computer and start from scratch, you can do that, but you should make a backup of the whole thing before doing so. You can do that fairly easily with a different shareware program called SuperDuper! and an external hard drive.

3. motrek macrumors 68020

4. Airboy1466, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015

Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

You could always get a 128 GB SD card off of eBay move all of your important pictures on to it then Completely re-set your macbook thats what I would do

5. motrek macrumors 68020

Why not get an external USB hard drive that can store a terabyte or more.

6. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

or that lol but I don’t use much space and having the SD card is so much simpler its not a hassle to carry around or anything and i normally just leave mines in the SD card slot plus it was only $15 on eBay plus i use it as a usb when i need to print papers in between classes just makes college life so much easier