'Offensive' car number plate banned

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
UK
Car licence plates which bear the sequence SN07 were banned from the streets of Edinburgh because they are "offensive", it has emerged.

The plate had been due to follow on from the SN56 registration in March.

Licensing officials at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) changed the plate to TN07 to avoid it being similar to the word "snot".

The change means that cars registered in the capital are the only ones in Scotland not to begin with an S.

A DVLA spokesperson said the decision to change the plates was taken to avoid offending car buyers in the capital.

She added: "It is our policy that any registration mark that can be construed as being offensive to people will be suppressed.

"In this case, the SN07 marks would have been too similar to the word 'snot' and, as that could possibly offend some buyers, they were replaced with new TN07 registrations."
BBC News Link

To quote Brian Potter: "Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans!"

What's the world (UK) coming too?

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
The obvious question: why are the Edinburgh clan so sensitive about that word? What about everywhere else in the English speaking world?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
If they bad that think whats going to happen when they get to BO08, or SH11, or BO11OCK, or BU11SHT

I really need to get a life.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
If they bad that think whats going to happen when they get to BO08, or SH11, or BO11OCK, or BU11SHT

I really need to get a life.
I saw "Bo08135" or something similar on a BMW 5-series a few days ago :D

I keep seeing a totally blacked-out black 7-series with "NAF 1"

...and while we're talking Reg. plates I while ago I saw a collection of Aston Martins with consecutive plates "AML 001, AML 002..." I think there were 9 in all.

LIVE UPDATE:
Literally 20mins. after this post I was passed by a red Jaguar XJS with pimped body kit and obnoxiously loud exhaust with the reg "G 5POT" :D

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
At least PEN15 is still available :D
It was banned for years though before the government decided to release a whole raft of previously banned numbers. I saw it on a black sports car once.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
...I saw it on a black sports car once.
It must be a PEN15 that gets around a lot, cause it was on a motorbike a while ago. One of the British pro-riders was taken to court for shaving his PEN15, he took the corner off the 5.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
LIVE UPDATE:
Literally 20mins. after this post I was passed by a red Jaguar XJS with pimped body kit and obnoxiously loud exhaust with the reg "G 5POT; :D
I wonder what the probability that the driver's ever found it is :rolleyes:.

L

Lau

The obvious question: why are the Edinburgh clan so sensitive about that word? What about everywhere else in the English speaking world?
I assume it's more that it's a regional registration, as in SN is for new cars in some part of the Edinburgh area, and, say, GR is in Grimsby and they get GR07. ;) But I dunno.

The whole thing seems ridiculous to me. The only thing I can think of is that if they just ban anything that makes anything resembling a comedy word they won't get into discussions later whether T1T5 should be banned. But yeah, totally silly.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I assume it's more that it's a regional registration, as in SN is for new cars in some part of the Edinburgh area, and, say, GR is in Grimsby and they get GR07. ;) But I dunno.
I'd imagine that Grimsby will be either be covered by the Lincoln registration office, in which case their plates would begin with FR or FY, or if they're counting it as part of the old 'Humberside' area (don't get me started on that ;)) then they'll be registered at Beverley and thus carry either YV or YY. I'll leave it to your own mucky mind to see if you can get any offensive words out of those. :p

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
It must be a PEN15 that gets around a lot, cause it was on a motorbike a while ago.
I imagine it sells for a fortune. I once looked at whether 15 H was available. It was - for about £30,000 if I remember correctly. No, I didn't buy it.

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
I don't think it's got anything to do with "snot" at all. It's political ... think about it - SN = "Scottish Nationalists" - and they trashed Labour at the last Scottish elections.

By the way, I lived in Northern Ireland some time ago, and one of the license plates prefixes is xAZ. So, one year it was "NAZ". I don't know if any "NAZ 1..." numbers were banned.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003

The whole thing seems ridiculous to me. The only thing I can think of is that if they just ban anything that makes anything resembling a comedy word they won't get into discussions later whether T1T5 should be banned. But yeah, totally silly.
The regional thing would explain it, though I'm surprised this hasn't happened before in different region/rude word situations.

I've copyrighted 81G T1T5 by the way.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
When I worked on a DMV software development project, I spent one fun afternoon looking through the database that automatically rejects unallowed vanity plates. I was amazed at how big the database was and how many things were not allowed. My favorite:

867 5309