Offered a 2nd hand apple tv box but serial and model number dont match

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by FyerFyer, Jan 4, 2019.

1. FyerFyer macrumors regular

FyerFyer

Hi guys

Ive been offered a 2nd hand apple tv kit but the model number and serial seem all messed up. The seller is saying it is 2nd gen but when i search its showing 3rd gen, also web results are mainly in Chinese, could really do with some help for this one as im not sure im looking it up right.

Ive attached the sellers photo with all numbers etc so any advice would be great

Attached Files:

2. chabig macrumors 601

He thinks it's a second generation device, but it's really third generation. That's a good deal for you. What kind of advice do you need?

3. FyerFyer thread starter macrumors regular

FyerFyer

Well the model number doesnt match the serial number. In addition, as I already have Chromecast and Firestick, can I still use it?

4. chabig macrumors 601

It looks to me like the serial number and model number match:

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 9.12.19 AM.png

5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

6. chabig macrumors 601

Everything says third generation AppleTV. That's probably what it is.

7. FyerFyer thread starter macrumors regular

FyerFyer

Thanks guys

Before I buy it is there anything else I should check? Does it need to be signed out of etc...?

Also, does the GB size make any significant difference? Ill be honest Im just buying this for AirPlay but why would I use any bigger GB size?

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

Apple TV 3 doesn't have activation lock, and only one size internal storage (which can't be used anyway).

9. FyerFyer thread starter macrumors regular

FyerFyer

Oh ok, thanks, in that case do you recommend it over the older versions? Are there advantages for having a big storage?

10. Spoon! macrumors 6502

Spoon!

Considering you can't download apps with the Apple TV 3rd gen, the internal storage is a bit irrelevant. On the 4th gen, you can download apps and games, so it can fill up fast.

11. FyerFyer thread starter macrumors regular

FyerFyer

The more i learn about Apple TV the worse it seems.

Tbh i just installed an app on Firestick that can use AirPlay so i might leave it for now.

In case im missing something, why is Apple tv so much more expensive than its competitors?

12. Spoon! macrumors 6502

Spoon!

It's not that much more expensive than competing streaming devices. It has the most features, the interface is much smoother, and it has the most powerful hardware of all the streaming devices. I wouldn't bother with the 3rd gen Apple TV because it is complete and utter crap compared to the 4th gen 4K Apple TV. The differences are night and day. The 4K Apple TV is pretty awesome and I have several of them in my house. I have a 4K Roku TV in another room because it's what I had waiting for Apple's new device to be released. It's okay, but the interface sucks and is quite clunky compared to Apple TV. The 3rd gen feels like a relic compared to the new one. Apple doesn't support the old one anymore either, while the new one gets continued updates. I've used the Amazon Fire devices as well as Chromecast Ultra, and none of them hold a candle to the new Apple TV, IMO.

13. FyerFyer thread starter macrumors regular

FyerFyer

Ok, Ill bear that in mind then. Now I have this software on the firestick Ill probably wait it out

Thanks!

14. se95dah macrumors member

se95dah

What program are you using for airplay on the firestick? I’ve tried a few but haven’t found one that works well yet.

15. FyerFyer thread starter macrumors regular

FyerFyer

There are quite a few actually. If you search AirPlay I believe its called AirScreen.

Bit laggy but itll do for what i need

16. Cell-666 macrumors 6502a

Cell-666

Don't want to sound a bit silly, but how much are you actually paying for an old gen 3 ATV? It's not like we are talking a premium product for a used 4th get ATV never mind a recon or even new 4K version?

17. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

18. chabig, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019

chabig macrumors 601

Isn’t that true of every device ever made?

19. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

I can't speak for every device but all of my devices (iPads, MacBooks, iPhones, TVs, and Windows laptops) have never exerienced a wi-fi chip failure.

I have a 2nd gen ATV that is still going strong.

I have not heard of an Apple replacement program for other generations Apple TVs. Unfortunately, my 3rd gen wi-fi chip failed about a month after Apple ended the replacement program.

20. chabig macrumors 601

21. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

It's too bad my ATV 3rd gen wifi didn't fail sooner

At least I was able to justify a 4k ATV from DirecTV

22. FyerFyer thread starter macrumors regular

FyerFyer

I was asked €60 but as mentioned ive not bothered. Ive installed a free software that works perfectly. For everything else, Chromecast and Firestick. Include a few subscriptions and it still works out cheaper.

However if Apple do release something cheaper i would consider it