Offered a new rmbp 2.7, 16gb, 512ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zombiedave, Jun 26, 2013.

1. zombiedave macrumors newbie

I have the opportunity to get a 15" Rmbp, the 'top' one on the UK website at a discount (similar to the education discount) in fact it's £350 cheaper than list price. Now my simple question is......should I? Or do you think the new haswell will be worth paying full price for? I won't be able to get a haswell one with this discount so I'm very tempted. Battery life is not important to me as the current one is good enough (be mainly used at home near plugs)

2. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

why you wasting time for waiting haswell??
    I wont buy a new product in the first selling, maybe i will wait until 4-6 month.
    just my opinion

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

If youre comfortable with it I say go for it! I personally would check out the refurb stores or used just to see what else is out there first to compare.

4. toondw macrumors 6502

5. zombiedave thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

I did look at a referb 2012 model for £100 cheaper. But for the extra £100 i think it's worth getting the 2013 model.

this is my first mac. i'm all PC desktop but want to give apple a go as the os looks great and i fancy a new challenge (i can bootcamp i believe for my windows gaming fix). I've been ios for years!

I did look at the mba 2013 model but it doesn't float my boat so to speak.

even if the haswell one did come out next month i wouldnt be able to get the £350 saving so i think i will just jump into this one! :)

6. Oridus macrumors 6502a

it's the same machine I just bought monday. I don't think haswell would be radically different. This is a beast of a machine and I love it.

7. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I would get it if you need it. I am currently running that specific model right now and It is all worth it. People are thinking Haswell is going to be this radical change for the 15" model and its not. Haswell is really built for UltraBooks, not power users. Most users aren't even going to notice the difference in day to day tasks on Haswell honestly. 802.11 AC is a nice upgrade, but not a huge deal breaker for most people, not to mention you must have an AC router to support it. 802.11n is more than capable on running anything you want with great speeds. The integrated graphics is slightly better on Haswell but not too important as you have a dedicated GPU in the 15" which solves anything gaming or any intensive task. I say get the Retina MacBook now and save the money while you can because you know when Haswell comes out, you will most likely not be able to get that same price so grab the machine now, you'll be glad you did,.

8. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Will you be gaming?

Yes:
    Maybe you should get a MSI GX70, or wait to see if apple puts a better GPU in the haswell.
    No:
    Wait for haswell.

9. zombiedave thread starter macrumors newbie

I am going to get the current one as offered. Thanks guys.

As for the MSI........I would prefer to chop my fingers off than use that. Awful looking thing (but thanks anyway) and I want to migrate to the Mac OS but keep windows side for light gaming (I have a home pc for my proper gaming fix)

Happy days ahead (no doubt frustrating aswell as I get used to doing things differently on a mac)

Oh, and my internet speed is3 Kbps so I doubt the fancy new Internet would bother me!

10. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

The only thing you'll miss out that's significantly important and different from the current rMBP is the wireless (new one will have 802.11AC)
    Of course, there's speed boost and such, but the wireless standard is what stands out.

11. zombiedave thread starter macrumors newbie

I was under the impression because my Internet speed is so slow here that the new standard would be of no use to me?

I only get 2.5 to 3 as I live in the countryside.