Offered an a 'Sealed' iPad, not sure about it

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by salemsayed, Jun 14, 2011.

1. salemsayed macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I'm offered an iPad by a friend coming from USA, he told me it's brand new and sealed and never been opened, but when i used the serial number to check it online i found out that it's registered and it's warranty is already active from a month ago. Does this make sense ? or the warranty will only start if it's activated ?

I will check the seal of course before buying it but i think the seal can be forged so i was trying to make sure by other means possible.

Any help or tip is greatly appreciated.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I would think the warranty would start from when the iPad was purchased, not when the box was opened.

Regardless, if you're supsicious about your friend's claims, then don't hand over any money until you see it in person. And if won't agree to that, he's not your friend.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Most of the time, Apple Warranties begin when the sale takes place.

TEG

4. salemsayed thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, he is not really a friend. Am supposed to go check it tomorrow. Is there any way i could know if it's the original shrink wrap or not ?

Thanks

5. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

The warranty starts from the date of purchase, which can even be *before* you bought it if its through a reseller. I had an issue with this because I bought my ipod nano from amazon.com and then a year later(ish) the battery started shooting craps. Well come to find out that even though *I* purchased it on such and such date, that it was past the warranty because of when amazon purchased it.

:/

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

There should be 2 sets of plastic, one covering the box itself and a 2nd, more durable wrap around the iPad itself. This 2nd one is really, really hard to fake so just look at it before you tear into it.

7. salemsayed thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean the plastic on the back of the iPad ? i watched some unboxing videos and that's the only thing i found.