"Offical" landscape position?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by okrelayer, Mar 19, 2009.

1. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

Just a little observation. How has the "offical" landscape position for just about all apps, and the demos apple does for landscape always have the home button on the right hand side?

I have lately taken to having the home button on the left handside when being in landscape.

1. Speaker is free from hands covering it
    2. Headphone jack is away from your hand
    3. when adjusting the volume the onscreen controlls match with right left buttons when changing the volume.

what is everyones thoughts on this?

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I agree with you, except that it's very easy to accidentally hit the power button when you're in the heat of battle with the iPhone tilted clockwise. I discovered this while playing iDracula. So either way, you're screwed. ;)

Anyway, I really wish devs would let US choose which way to rotate the device.

3. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I have games that have each, left and right. I think I prefer the button on the right. I dont know why thats just where I like it. Some games/videos you can choose and I always flip it so its on the right.

4. Boxer757 macrumors member

For some reason I also always have the home button on the right when in landscape and even when given an option. Just feels better to me...

5. poweredbymaxx macrumors newbie

i like the button on the left, gives me the option to adjust the volume quickly (which comes in handy at the office). but ultimately i would like to be able to play either side.

6. Private Dirt macrumors regular

Private Dirt

7. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

in the year and a half i've been using iphones i have honestly never even thought about this. i rotate whichever way i feel like. who cares.

8. S Brake macrumors regular

I always have the home button on the right side when in landscape.

9. elbirth macrumors 65816

From the perspective of a human-interaction standpoint, a likely reason the home button is usually on the right is simply because of how most people hold the iPhone in portrait mode.

Most people are right-handed, so they hold the iPhone in their left hand. While in the left hand, the iPhone is most easily rotated counterclockwise, as the thumb creates a very nice pivot point. To rotate it clockwise, you have to hyper extend your thumb and wrist and it's not as natural of a movement.

I'd be interested in knowing how many people that prefer to have the button on the left are actually left-handed.

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Excellent contribution. :rolleyes:

Great point. It really depends on which hand I'm using to hold the phone. I don't think I have a preference though.

11. iPhAddict macrumors newbie

iPhAddict

Oh, I never really mind having the landscape button on the right. I just got used to it. Now that you mentioned it, I kind of want to try the left side.:)

12. Almy macrumors 6502

I'm right handed and my natural tendency has always been to have the home key on the right side. But lately I've been gaming with the charger plugged in and I find it more comfortable to navigate the charger end if I hold it with the home key to the left (plugins are almost always to my left.).

I really wish they would add a landscape lock. I hate reading safari at a slight angle just to have it slip into portrait mode. Apps can do it, 'The Quest' has it, but something universal would be more convenient. Plus it would just make sense.

13. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Do you hold the iPhone with one hand and touch the screen with another?

14. elbirth macrumors 65816

It depends on what I'm doing. Sometimes I hold it in one hand and use my thumb of the same hand to tap around, sometimes I hold it in one hand and tap with the other, other times, I hold it with both hands and use both thumbs. For me, it's all dependent on whether I'm preoccupied with something else or how quickly I want to do what I'm doing.

15. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

since the 3G launch (and my iPod Touch before hand) i always had the home button on the right. But i increasingly got irritated by the volume buttons being opposite the on screen volume, then the muffling of the audio sound. So i began switching to the home button on the left, for the past few months. I just wish developers would give me an option as to what side i want! haha

i am right handed.

16. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

I'm left handed and I prefer the home button on the right...