Offical New MacBook Pro Check List (Is you make in Optimal Condition)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2high2aim, Apr 21, 2010.

1. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

I am a soon to be a first time Mac owner (15 MBP low end) and was curious at what are the things you need to check to see if the mac is in optimal condition?

Please give informative information and questions and I will post and edit this initial post and include them so that owners can properly check that their mac has all of its hardware and software working properly.

1. Yellow tinge issue
    2. Check if blue tooth connects

3. Wifi -signal

4. Test Battery Charge level , battery capacity (measured in mAh), and LoadCycles (helpful tool app is called coconut battery)
    Also Calibrate your battery
    *This is a short how to (for more details go on Apple site)
    1. fully charge battery until the (green light and onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates fully charged).
    2. Rest battery in the fully charged state for at least two hours. Keep adapter in.
    3. Disconnect the power adapter while the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power.
    4. When the battery gets very low, the computer will automatically go to sleep.
    5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
    6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

5. Check SuperDrive if its working test CD/DVD reading and burning

6. Tests all the input/outputs USB working? Battery Charges?, Card Reader reads? Mini Display Port audio video work? [audio out is also added so check if the audio is also coming when connecting to ex. HDMI]
    7. Sleep vs. Hibernate
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2788

2. 2high2aim thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Test Battery Charge level , battery capacity (measured in mAh), and LoadCycles (helpful tool app is called coconut battery)

5. Check SuperDrive if its working test CD/DVD reading and burning

6. Tests all the input/outputs USB working? Battery Charges?, Card Reader reads? Mini Display Port audio video work? [audio out is also added so check if the audio is also coming when connecting to ex. HDMI]

3. bluetick macrumors member

4. vant macrumors 65816

You shouldn't have to do these checks. These issues happen in a very very small amount of cases. If you do have an issue later on, it's got a 1 year warranty.

5. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Perhaps it might be useful for those individuals buying a used Mac from a private seller.

6. 2high2aim thread starter macrumors 6502

For Used Buyers and also for new (like myself) I like to check and get what I payed for. If I'm paying 2 grand for a laptop it better not have any problems with its hardware or software. This thread will help individuals going through a check list to ensure production quality is 100% and be able to professional inspect their laptops so they are personally guaranteed top quality and will reduce buyers remorse. (have it right now prior to my purchase lol I do not want to buy something I am not 100% satisfied with.)

7. 2high2aim thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Ack macrumors member

Great thread! Thanks for this.

I'll add that any time I get a new Mac I like to run the built-in hardware diagnostics on it to make sure there are no hidden hardware issues. you can do this by holding down the "D" key as you boot up.

9. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

Thanks for the helpful list. Anyone know what the battery specs (in mAh) should be for the 17" i5 Macbook Pro? Mine is registering as just over 13,000 in coconutBattery.