Office 04/08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iDmitry, Jan 2, 2008.

1. iDmitry macrumors member

iDmitry

So they say that if you buy office 04 before january 14th, you only have to pay S&H charges of liek 7 or 8 bucks and when the new office 08 comes out it will be shipped to you at no additional cost. That sounds like a great deal, sounds a little like it's too good to be true. Anyone has anything to say about this, because I am planning on doing that. Also, who prefers :apple:iWork:apple: over Office?

2. dazed macrumors 6502a

Sounded like a no brainer to me. I sent off my form before xmas so hopefully its got there already :)

The hardest part was deciding which version to get (student teacher or the media one). i chose student/teacher since id like 3 licenses more than a few webby things.

I'm new to mac and never tried iwork. guess im too set in my ms office ways.

And it doesnt sound too good to be true, it sounds like MS trying to get rid of a lot of unshipped office 2004 boxes before they have to dump them in a land fill.

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

Not worth sending in the rebate. You are better off waiting for the official release of Office 2k8 in a couple of weeks.

Main reason is waiting forever for the fulfillment CD/DVD to arrive. The prices between 2k4 and 2k8 are about the same. Especially if you have 2k4 on an intel mac. 2k4 runs very slow on intel macs. 2k8 will be optimized for intel mac. So it's pointless having 2k4.

I bought a Gateway laptop with Windows XP SP2 last January (just 3 weeks before the official Vista release). I was also promised a Vista upgrade DVD. Guess how long you have to wait....well I waited until the beginning of May 2007 for my upgrade DVD to arrive. Vista was released at the end of Jan. 2007.

So since Office 2k8 supposedly runs much faster on intel macs, it's worth your time to wait for the official release rather than have to wait 3-4 months for your upgrade DVD to come in via mail.

iWork 08 is fine for about 80 percent of consumers out there. It looks pretty (keynote 4 is far superior to powerpoint) while Pages 3 and Numbers v. 1 are not as powerful as Microsoft's Word or Excel. There is no Outlook program in Mac Office 2k8 (they have Entourage which works like Outlook but you cannot synch with MS Exchange with Entourage...you can sync with Outlook). So unless you are a corporate user, iWork 08 is a fine alternative. iWork's files can also read Microsoft Office 2007 (for windows) new formats also.

4. iDmitry thread starter macrumors member

iDmitry

well if the prices aren't going to be too different then I will just buy the Office 08. Are you sure it takes that long to wait for it to come? Can't I just go to the mac store and get it through them? I guess that's a question I need to ask the people at Mac. Thanks for your help!

5. aneftp macrumors 68040

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

I doubt Microsoft would make it that easy for you just to go to an Apple store and get your upgrade Office 2k8 DVD/CD. Remember you are paying for "shipping" costs.

I know with my vista upgrade "coupon" some third world company was handling all the "free upgrade Vista DVD" and they were swamp and could not handle the demand.

So if you really needed Office 2k4 right now and are willing to wait up to 4 months longer to get Office 2k8 by mail, than do it.

Use common logic. Check out the prices for 2k4 vs. 2k8. I assume you are going to buy some educational discount. The price differences will be very minimal. Is it worth it to wait 4 weeks and get a fresh copy of 2k8 or do you want to wait up to 4 months to get your upgrade coupon.

Hell will freeze over before Microsoft will allow you to walk into any Apple retail store with a coupon so you can get your "upgrade"

7. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

I have 2004 and will definitely be upgrading to 2008.

8. @home macrumors member

Pre-Ordered Office 2008 For Mac On Amazon Before Xmas.

Loved Using Entourage In Office 04 For Mac, Hope It's Gonna Be Even Cooler In The 2008 Version :)

9. macsig macrumors regular

I have already received confirmation form Microsoft that my copy of office 2008 will be sent next week. (I bought Office 2004 last November)

10. mediaguru macrumors regular

If you only use one computer and you elect to replace the three-license 2004 Student edition with the one-license 2008 Special Media Edition on the rebate, even paying and waiting for shipping is still a great deal:

($129 Office 2004 Student on Amazon, etc. + $7 US shipping = $136) vs. ($449 Office 2008 Retail Pre-Order on Amazon.) Microsoft clearly states that this kind of trade-up is allowable until Jan 14.

EDIT: Of course you must be a student to qualify.

11. JUMPINTHEGUN macrumors newbie

Interesting... I bought a Mac (Intel iMac and MBP) about 18 months ago, loaded M$ Office 2k4 and began using Entourage as an alternative to Outlook... after about 4 months (and lots of SLOW performance and hangs...) I decided to use Mail, Address Book, iCal, etc... I now like them MUCH better (now on Leopard)... IMO Entourage was just too busy and mostly ran slowly...

Maybe 2k8 will be better...

12. Live Steam macrumors regular

You can do it online

This link will allow you to preregister for your upgrade to 08. You will then receive it by mail.