Office '04, iWork '08 and 10.5.4 questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BOSS10L, Aug 21, 2008.

1. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Hey all, thanks to everyone here in the MR community, you guys/gals have been great in helping me with my conversion from Windows to Mac, but things have gotten a little more complicated and I need to draw from the well yet again.

My aging P4 2.8GHz machine finally met it's end (it isn't dead, I just took it out of commission), and we replaced it with a shiny new 20" iMac on Monday. :) My wife is slowly making progress in the world of OS X, but some things are coming a little more difficult than others. Most pressing, is that she handles the finances. I know in the past she has used a rudimentary Excel spreadsheet (Office XP) to calculate the monthly bills, as well as check due dates, toggle when bills were paid, ect. Everything was fine until the iMac entered the home.

Now, when I purchased my MacBook back in late January for my first semester back to school, I decided to try and make a break from MS and go with iWork '08. While there is still somewhat of a small learning curve, on the whole I like it at least as much as Office, and in some ways more. Unfortunately, when I purchased the iWork '08 from my local Apple Store, it never occurred to me that we might be adding another Mac to the family so soon, so I went with the single user option instead of the family pack. I assume that now that I have already made the purchase over 6 months ago, I have no way of going back to Apple and just attempting to purchase a second access code for the extra $20 (ADC), right?

Secondly, I have the opportunity to purchase a legal, working, still in box copy of Office 2004 from a friend I trust. Both of our Macs are running 10.5.4, and I am wondering if I can still install Office '04 on the iMac, or would it cause compatibility issues and force me to upgrade to Office '08?

I'm really only seriously considering Office '04 because it would be at a substantial discounted price over buying another full copy of iWork '08 (assuming Apple doesn't allow me the $20 2nd access key route). I want to rid myself of MS entirely if I can help it.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks again, you people have been great!

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Get Office 04, when I bought my copy, I had 3 licenses. But seeing as iWork is pretty inexpensive compared to Office 08, I really don't know. On the other hand, Office 04 is the better deal and it will not cause compatibility issues, as I had a Leopard MacBook, which came with the Office 2004 trial. I assume there must not be any issues or Apple will not put it on my MacBook. Go with Office 04, it's the better deal, unless you can negotiate a deal with the Apple Store for another iWork license.

A simple instant solution is Office 04, it's got 3 licenses, future proofing you from any more mac additions to your home, a MS-less solution is bargaining with the Apple Store reps for another iWork license...

3. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to just get iWork '08 (even at the higher cost if need be) and wash my hands of MS Office altogether.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

5. BOSS10L thread starter macrumors 6502a

:)