Office 08 and Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smilechild, Jul 13, 2011.

1. smilechild macrumors newbie

Currently I have an iMac running snow leopard and Office 2008 is on it. I actually have one more license code for it and would like to put it to use!

I am planning on getting a MBA with Lion when they are released for school and would like to use the Office 2008 disc and code that I have. Will Office 2008 install fine with Lion? :confused:

Thank you.

2. mariov macrumors member

Sure it will. :)

3. smilechild thread starter macrumors newbie

4. UnSainted macrumors member

Rosetta

I had heard that the installer for Office 2008 required Rosetta even though the apps were intel native.. I think it will only work on Lion if it was initially installed on SNow Leopard and then upgraded.. Someone correct me if I am wrong..

5. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I believe you are correct, but I think an easy way around this limitation is to simply copy the Office folder from the Applications folder on the iMac to the Applications folder on the Macbook Air. I don't think Office 2008 installed any files in the Library folder, but rather kept its resources in the Office folder.

6. smilechild thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the insight, I hope it works!

7. niksimpsons macrumors member

niksimpsons

Chances are very bright that it will work with Lion but I am feeling some issue in while working on office 08 on my Mac with beta version of Lion (May be my Mac hardware issues). I also have read somewhere that Office for "Mac 2011 coming in October" may be MIcrosoft trying to make it more compatible with latest Mac OS X, I guess...

8. whiteironknuckl macrumors newbie

I would upgrade your office, to be honest. They fixed a lot of problems between that version and the current version. It should work, but it'll be a little buggy.

9. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

The file that needs updating is the Microsoft AutoUpdater. It's found in the Library/Application Support/Microsoft folder.

Excel's Microsoft Query application is still PowerPC too, but you'll have to wait on an updater for that.

I'm guessing the Microsoft will update any files required for Office 2008 to run under Lion.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why would you guess that? Office 2011 is Intel-exclusive and has been out for a while now.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Microsoft tends to do a much better job than Apple at supporting users of its older software. Office 2008 is still in its primary support phase.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

With MacOS X, Microsoft has tended to abandon legacy support ahead of other developers. Carbon-based Office v.X did not run under MacOS 9 or Classic. Office 2008 removed VBA support. [Microsoft intended to remove VBA from Windows as well. However, customer demand prompted it to reverse course.] Office 2011 went Intel-only despite high demand among the throngs of PPC-based Mac users for Office 2011 features.

Microsoft continues to provide maintenance updates for Office 2004 and Office 2008. However, adding Intel-support for a PPC-based utility is just a wee bit more than a maintenance update. Ain't gonna happen.

13. ch02ce macrumors member

14. ClaveMan macrumors member

ClaveMan

More Info on Office 2008

This page is now gone from the web. Viva la google Cache.. Could drop from Google cache without notice..

http://tinyurl.com/4ygmpyk