Office 08 - no new equation editor?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by irbdavid, Jan 18, 2008.

1. irbdavid macrumors regular

irbdavid

It doesn't look like there's a new equation editor in Office 08 then? As I understand it, a newer, more intelligent one is present in Office 07 on PC.

The one I have here in 08 looks and behaves identically to the editor that was in 04. Can anyone else confirm this - it's not just me borking the install somehow?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It should be here

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/Equation Editor.app

3. hoju3483 macrumors newbie

Backwards Thinking

I just bought Office 08 for Mac and I am REALLY angry that they didn't go with the Equation Editor for Office 2007 for PC. It's certainly not enough to give me buyer's remorse for switching to Mac from being a hardcore PC person, but I wish there was an easier way to write mathematical documents outside of learning LaTeX.

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

I just found this out today--my school got Office 2008 for Mac today--and I am royally pissed off. What the heck have they been doing in 4 damned years?

Documents containing Office 2007 Equations do not render in Microsoft Office 2008. They are "preserved" so that they will show up in Office 2007, but they render as question marks, and you cannot edit them.

Moreover, you can only create legacy equations using the same equation editor from Office 2004.

What is so hard about this? It's a frickin' XML format for math equations (Office 2007 uses MathML). FireFox can render Office 2007 Equations! WTF!