Office 08 or iWork 08?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Ok, so I'm sure that the differences have been discussed between these two things a lot but I have a couple of specific questions regarding the differences.

1) What is the price difference? I am a college student so I would probably be able to buy them for fairly cheap at my university. Around how much would they be? and I heard something about getting office 04 then buying an upgrade to 08 for 10 bucks? So what exactly is the deal with that?

2) I will probably have to be transferring some documents from my mac to pc's back and forth. Which one would be better at doing this? Thanks!

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you're a student check with your school.

For ultimate compatibility go with Office, though iWork will almost certainly be good enough.

3. serega macrumors regular

4. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Better yet...

Save yourself the trouble, and go get NeoOffice. www.neooffice.org It's just like MS Office, but it's free, and can handle WAY more types of files. It even saves in MS format (.doc, .xls, .etc). I've been using it for years. MS Office just crashed too often for me - I'm a grad student and live and die through my writing. iWork is fun, but I just didn't find it to be easy enough with the type documents I often make - large ones with lots of endnotes, footnotes, or other nightmares like pictures. I am perpetually transferring documents back and forth with fools on PC's and it's never an issue. Plus, it makes outputting papers as PDF's quite easy - although that's a given thanks to the OSX's print process... NeoOffice is great and free - and I've been pushing it hard for about four years!

-t

5. CruzDude macrumors newbie

Went to iWork 06>08 from Office 2004

FYI.
    I used Word and Excel on Macs since the late 1980's up to last year when we were using Office X. I ran a small hi tech business with Word/Excel for nearly 20 yrs. But Word had major issues that when iWork 08 came out got me to switch once and for all. The issues were:
    - Word crashed at least once a day, sometimes more, and always lost some data, Excel crashed a bit less but continually over the years;
    - Word is so complex that I maybe, after all these years, used 20%, no NEEDED 20% of what it had. The more I tried to use the more crashes occurred. (I always had max or near max RAM in every computer).
    - Word files became huge if any graphics or images were included limiting what I could email, unless I'd Zip them, even then included graphics and images were problematic;
    - Excel was better and not as complex but still had 50% more features than our company ever found need for;
    - Excel spreadsheets to start were always huge: 52 columns by 250 or 300 rows.
    - PowerPoint was very fixed and very dictatorial in layouts, no real flexibility
    - Powerpoint files became very huge very quick and did not compress well
    - In Office, layout was very tough for brochures with lots of images;

What I wanted that got me to iWorks 08 (after trying 06 for awhile) was:

- spreadsheets that were the exact size I needed and where I could have 2-5 independant or integrated small spreadsheets on the same page at the same time
    - spreadsheets that would allow me to integrate images and backgrounds to better illustrate what was what;
    - word processing that did what i needed that offered flexibility and simplicity and let me layout simple brochure pages in 1, 2 or 3 column modes;
    - word processing that allowed total flexibility of where I could put what, not only in word processing but in presentations (Keynote) and spreadsheets as well;
    - easy integration with my iPhoto images, PDF docs, and drawings from MacDraft, etc.

My life is so much easier now and document creation is so much simplier and easier. I've converted all word documents with no problems, I've converted all Excel SS into Numbers and added the nice display touches I always wanted. And Keynote is a dream to work with compared to PowerPoint and 100% compatible too.

6. CruzDude macrumors newbie

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

iWork 08 is cheaper, and i think it works great.

8. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Not if you're a student and/or DoD.

9. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I used iWork right through College and never had an issue. I have always been able to open Word and Powerpoint files and all assignments I did (one of them included writing a manual) I submitted in pdf format. Sure they ask for Word format but that's only because they use it, when I explained that I own a Mac and didn't have Word there was no issue.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Actually this upgrade is legit. While the terms have changed slightly since Christmas, I'm pretty sure the deal was that if you bought Office 04 for the full price, you'd get Office 08 for $10 or $15 (I'm not sure how university stores factor into this).

As for the OP's price question, that is highly school-dependent. Microsoft is known to offer great deals to campus stores, and some members have reported getting Office for $10. Conversely, iWork will probably be $39 at your university store as it doesn't tend to appear much cheaper than that. However, this is again dependent on what school you go to and the specific deals they offer.

As for which one to get, my personal choice is to go with Office simply because I'm comfortable with it and I have the peace of mind of knowing that I can work on my stuff anywhere I want to. Granted it's rare these days for students to use other computers to do their work, but once in a while collaborative projects do crop up.

All in all, I would say that iWork has a lot of great features as well, but if you are planning on transferring files to and fro from your PC, then Office is the way to go. It just makes life easier. Maybe in a few years when you have the money to get both, you'll find that iWork is to your liking, but now doesn't seem to be the time to experiment with that.

PS: Always send documents to profs in PDF! No matter what you're using, PDF it!

11. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Thanks guys! I'll probably go for neoOffice for a while and see how I like it. I mean if it's free, can't beat that!

And it seems like you guys are saying that both of them convert mac to pc fairly easily, so I guess I'll just go with whatever if i decide I don't like neoOffice