office 08.... outlook support?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mdwsta4, Sep 28, 2007.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

if your company uses windows and MS outlook, is there a way to get outlook with real time email on your mac?
    it'd be so much nicer to only use my MBP daily and on trips rather than having to lug along two laptops!

thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Parallels
    2. Boot Camp
    3. Crossover Mac
    4. Entourage '08

3. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

i'm familiar with boot camp where you need to buy windows and install it on your computer. the downside to that is having to pay so much to use one feature of windows. if i did that i'd also have to switch back and forth between windows/osx by rebooting, correct? i couldn't have outlook open while using OSX.
    what are the other options? i don't believe i've heard of them before. (sorry, used to have a PPC mac, still getting used to newer intel mac stuff).

4. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

If I've misunderstood your question I apologize but I think you need Entourage for your Mac.

It functions just like Outlook as far as Exchange goes.

I'd far rather spend the money on Office for the Mac that run Parallels or have to reboot to check mail.

Is this what you were looking for or have I missed the mark?

Cheers.

5. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

i think you've understood my question...
    really i just want to be able to view/use outlook in realtime on my mac rather than my company's windows laptop. my class, personal work, and everything else is all done on a mac and when traveling it'll be a pain to carry a second laptop simply for email.
    so i need entourage and parallels? can i do this with MS office 04 which i already have? or do i need to purchase something different like the standard edition of office 08? is entourage a free download, bundled with office, or a seperate product?

thanks again!

6. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Aside from a few "quirks" Entourage '04 should sync fine with your companies Exchange server.

7. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

where can i get entourage? is there a tutorial for setting it up/syncing it with my work's email? i'm searching through the archives, but can't seem to find what i think i'd need.
    *edit* looks like entourage is part of the student edition of ms office 04, but not 08, so i guess i'd want to stick with 04 in order to take advantage of this, right?

or i suppose another question i could ask would be if i could sync my office's outlook (folders/contacts/emails) using mac's mail?