Office 08: Spelling & Grammar GRAYed out, I forgot how I fixed it

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gomatt, Sep 7, 2008.

1. gomatt macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I have spend the past 3 hours searching Google, macrumors, ect on how to fix this problem and I have made no progress. I had this SAME problem before on my mac with Office 2008 and fixed it some time ago, but completely forgot how to fix it. I know have a friend with the same issue. Also, I just updated to the latest 12.1.2 office update and still no luck.

[please note, the screenshots are from my working copy of Word 08]

When you go to prefs in word, Spelling and Grammar are grayed out. You cannot click on it. Also, under Tools there is only Dictionary and Language.

I remember it had something to do with the dictionary Office was using, or it couldn't find the dictionary.

Her copy wont correct spelling errors, because spell checking doesn't exist, the settings to set it, are unclickable and grayed out.

I know someone else has had this issue and is an easy fix, i just forgot what the fix was. Can anyone help???

Attached Files:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

This sort of thing is generally a corrupted preference file. Does the information here help?

3. gomatt thread starter macrumors member

No, I tried that and no luck. I do remember not messing with that to fix my issue. I think it had more to do with the dictionary location in mac os x or something like that. Maybe importing the mac english dictionary to word files or something.

Matt