Office 08 - Student Deal 20?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kitki83, Jul 30, 2008.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I am going back to grad school and will need office (I have NeoOffice but I get problems when opened in windows office). I remember reading of Office 08 going for 30 bucks. I can't find the forums this was discussed and only found $100 price student deals. I hope someone may remember that site.

Thanks

2. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

don't know any sites but apple stores in university's sell them for about $30

3. rockininbama macrumors newbie

it depends on what school you go to.

some schools have a deal with apple/microsoft to provide OS's and Office Suites at FREE or discounted prices.

At Indiana University Bloomington, Office is free to download from the university online software hub, or 10 dollars for a disk from the bookstore.

Ask your schools IT department or bookstore about the pricing.

As far as getting it cheap elsewhere, forget about it unless youre stealing it. Education discounts on the software still put it at around 130 dollars from apple.com, and true to apple's form, that price doesnt stray far at other retailers.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Just to clarify, the free or cheap deals are on the University's site license, and are effective only for while the student is at the university. The license to use expires when the student graduates, and of course the software is not permitted to be sold or given to any other person.

5. rockininbama macrumors newbie

Well, perhaps in some places, but not all. At IU as long as you have a student ID you can download/buy Office free/for 10$, and it is an unlicensed version of the software. It is not tied to your presence at the University at all, and there is no way to track it, as you can download as many copies as you want. You can keep your copy of the software as long as you want, but if you lose it after you leave the university, you cannot download a new copy

So, while in many cases you might be right, by no means is that the standard.

6. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you found it on my school website for 30bucks. Just wait till my paper work is done to buy it. Thanks, I just thought the software was sold cheaper outside of the school.

7. psychotropic macrumors regular

question?

Hey I have a buddy that goes to Indiana University in Bloomington. Does this mean that I could have him purchase it and mail it to me and it would work with no problems?

8. SGrant macrumors newbie

Would you mind letting me know how office 08 works out for you? Some of the reviewers said that it is difficult to use because the functions have been changed (not like the classic word anymore). There was something about the default being changed to the wrong font and margins, I think. Although, I'm pretty sure defaults can be changed. :S

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

There is no such thing as an 'unlicensed' version. Your university has an agreement to sell to students, and this is restricted to current students only. I'd be shocked if this wasn't the case. Just because you aren't tracked doesn't mean you aren't supposed to erase it once you leave school.
    It's like the student copies of Mathematica that go for $100 to students and $1000 to professionals. You can't keep the old version once you graduate (at least you aren't supposed to).

You could, but you'd be violating the license agreement.