Office '08 Word wont launch when click on it

Claudiaz33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
So its been since the summer my office 08 word wont launch when I click on it to open. One day it just suddenly wouldn't open and so I've gone to the Apple Store and they couldn't help I've looked things up on line no help either. I even recently bought a new disk hoping that would solve my problems but didnt. But my trash usually has this in it when it wont come up...

Recovered Files. MerpAD word, Word Work File S_.tmp, Word Work File S_1.tmp and/or Recovered Files #1.

If anyone could please help me I would be truly grateful! :)

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Have you tried trashing the preference file and/or reinstalling the application as well as repairing permissions? Also is your microsoft up to date?

Comment

MacOCD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
iWork

You should use Pages! Better program all around in my opinion, and still saves in .doc

Comment

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I even recently bought a new disk hoping that would solve my problems but didnt.
So what did you do with it?
You might want to use the Remove Office uninstaller found in
Applications>Microsoft Office>Additional Tools>Remove Office
then reinstall from the disc.

Comment

Claudiaz33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it a couple of times and still it does not work! And yes my word is up to date whenever I reinstall it I am sure to update my microsft but it still is not working. :(

Comment

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I have both Word 08 and Pages .. and Pages SUCKS!
Pages 09 is superior to Word 08 in most regards. There hasn't been a great version of Office since 2001.

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it a couple of times and still it does not work! And yes my word is up to date whenever I reinstall it I am sure to update my microsft but it still is not working. :(
Are you running Snow Leopard?

Comment

Claudiaz33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
I dont think I ever had Snow Leopard. My sister and I got our macs around the same time and she and I used the same microsoft installment cd and hers is working just fine while mine the word suddenly stopped working.

Comment

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I dont think I ever had Snow Leopard. My sister and I got our macs around the same time and she and I used the same microsoft installment cd and hers is working just fine while mine the word suddenly stopped working.
Well that could be the problem. You are sharing the same license. You need to trash the plist files located at ~:Library:preferences:Microsoft:Office 2008:Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist

-and-

HD:Applications:Microsoft Office 2008:Office:OfficePID.plist

Then re-enter a valid product key.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.