Office 14.1.0 Word = no Japanese input

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidlv, Apr 14, 2011.

1. davidlv macrumors 65816

I have tried the update to 14.1.0 on 2 MBPs, one running the Japaanese Home and Student install, one running the full suite, English version. Both versions have broken Japanese input in MS Word 14.1 with either ATOK or Kotoeri as the input method. Excel and Powerpoint are OK. Japanese input is OK in Word Version 14.0.2 for both the Japanese and English versions. The OS is 10.6.7 (with only English and Japanese in the language pane, English on top).
    Something very amiss at MS these days.....definitely not:cool:
    At first I thought this might be due to the older (2010) version of ATOK installed, but it does not work with the stock Kotoeri either, and Japanese nput works fine in Excel etc., so it seems to be a Word issue. Didn't the dear folks at MS even test this? You would expect so ......

2. cbgbstokyo macrumors newbie

Re: Office 14.1.0 Word = no Japanese input

Hi David,

Saw your note here and at the MS user forum home page. I have the same problem as you (in addition to Excel, PowerPoint also handles Japanese input just fine--only Word seems to be broken, though I don't use Outlook so I can't tell), and just submitted a bug report per the note an MS staffer posted in response to your forum posting ("Send Feedback about Word"). Hope you've done the same. :)

:confused::eek:

3. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the reply. I found that you can do the upgrade and get the input working for a few minutes by deleting the normal.dotm file and the microsoft.com.word.plist files, (/Users/~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/
    and User/Library/Preferences/com.Microsoft.Word.plist), but the issue comes back after you save the file you were working on.
    I use Japanese daily, so I reverted back to 14.0.2.
    I cannot believe that this sort of major issue got past the quality-control checks.
    grrrr...:rolleyes:
    It would be great if MS resolves this in the "near" future. (Insert the appropriate, "Don't hold your breathe" type of comment here.)

4. cbgbstokyo macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm in a similar situation re daily Japanese use. Upgrading by downgrading is one of my plans for the day . . . :-|

5. kan386 macrumors newbie

6. davidlv, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the link!
    This is only a partial solution, of course, as it disables the main easy way to use styles, which I use often.
    I hope MS does find the source of the bug soon and posts a real update to fix it.

Edit: MS has released an update that does fix this. Office2011-1411UpdateJA.dmg
    Go the updated post; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2538309/ja
    and scroll down to the "解決方法" link.
    0f course if you have used the workaround posted in the original MS post report, removing the "Styles" window from the Formatting toolbar, you will have to open up the user toolbar customization pane and add it back.
    :cool:

7. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

I checked the bug report post on MS's site, and found a Japanese update but
    I have not been able to find this 14.1.1 (Office2011-1411UpdateJA.dmg update in English. It may not even exist, but the same issue is present in the English version (Japanese input is corrupted if the Formatting Toolbar is displayed, workaround is to drag the "Style" box off the toolbar using the Customize Toolbar option from the View Menu).
    If anyone can find a link to the Englsih version of the update, please post it.
    :)

8. EddieT macrumors newbie

I downloaded the Office2011-1411UpdateJA.dmg link. Tried to update through that, but was told the update could not find the software to update. I have English Microsoft Office 2011 Student version on a 3-year-old iMac running latest version of Snow Leopard.

9. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

That's MS for you! :eek::(:eek: They have not posted this Japanese (the JA on the end of the name for the dmg) update (Office for Mac 14.1.1) on any page the millions of people that have the Japanese version installed can find easily, it is buried deep in the forums only. :(
    They have not released (or I just can't find it) the same update for the English version, even though the same bug exists. :(
    This bug may affect languages other than Japanese. :confused:
    The bug is bad enough, but the way MS is handling the release of the fix is even worse. Not:cool: To give credit where it is due, they did get the fix released to the bug report forum rather quickly. :)
    The formatting toolbar is tuned off by default, so the casual user may never experience the bug.
    Soooooo..... file a bug report in the English user forums!

10. EddieT macrumors newbie

I did. Twice. I'm sure Microsoft is hard at work trying to make my user experience as glorious as possible.

Time to give iWork another look.

11. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I am sure they are too. :rolleyes:
    Could you post the related bug forum URL? I can't find any. They may well do what they did in the Japanese forum, and post a fix there.
    I don't have the Englaih version, but i know people that do.

12. EddieT macrumors newbie

I just sent feedback through the Word "Help" dropdown menu, "Send feedback about Word."

13. jccamp macrumors newbie

Same problem

Reaching this discussion at least mitigates my paranoia that MS was just picking on me, but evidently getting into May has not fixed the problem. I do have English-lanaguage word. For me, turning off the format toolbar works well enough for sticking in the occasional word in Japanese, but it is hardly satisfactory. I did send feedback asking them to do better.

14. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

15. EddieT macrumors newbie

Well, I just downloaded the recent update to Office for Mac 2011, and Japanese input is still broken. Pathetic, really.

16. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

Just did the 14.1.2 update (JA) and it works OK, the fix included in 14.1.1 JA is still working in the Japanese (JA) version.
    Come on MS, get the other versions fixed :eek:!!!:eek:

17. cbgbstokyo macrumors newbie

Happy to report that the 14.1.2 update that came out around June 23 fixes the problem, finally. Just installed it and so far so good. :apple:

18. cwb macrumors newbie

Just purchased Office 2011 with the English Word 14.1.0 and installed it on both a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air. Kotoeri seems to work fine on the former machine but suffers on the latter from a version of the problem discussed in this forum -- though I can't see any difference in the settings on the 2 machines. I've tried the workarounds recommended here to no avail. Any thoughts on what to try next?

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are you still running 14.1.0 or have you updated it to 14.1.2?

20. cwb macrumors newbie

I'm running 14.1.0 right out of the box. Should I try the upgrade to 14.1.2?

21. cwb macrumors newbie

I've tried upgrading to 14.1.2, but I continue to encounter the issue with kotoeri.
    My experience seems counter to that recorded in the 7/26 post of cbgbstokyo (if that was in reference to the English version of Word).

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm using 14.1.2 and have had no issues with Kotoeri, but I'm only learning Japanese so maybe I'm just not "advanced enough" to have run into the issue yet.

However, I've read through this thread twice now and nobody seems to have actually said what the symptoms are. Is there something specific that I should check for?

23. cwb macrumors newbie

Nermal, in answer to your question, the issue is simply that something in the Word settings screws up kanji input. When you type in kotoeri, Word takes whatever you type at face value, so to speak, without waiting for you to select the kanji for it.
    No one I've consulted seems to know what's going on, or why the problem only occurs on some machines and not others, or why the problem can suddenly occur on a machine where Word previously worked fine.

24. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

Check out the original MS forums thread for info on the original issue,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2538309/ja
    In short, the symptoms in earlier Japanese Office for Mac versions (now fixed in the Japanese version 14.1.3) were: when input is typed in roman letters, the screen should display hiragana (or katakana if you have it setup for that), but in versions with the bug, the screen displays partial hiragana and some roman letters, in a jumble that can not be converted to kanji.
    MS's "fix" involved disabling the style box in the user interface, suggesting a related bug. Later Japanese versions had the bug fixed (from 14.1.1 if I recall correctly). However, to my knowledge, the English versions still have the bug.
    I am not sure about that, as I got out of touch after MS brought out the fixed J version. :cool:MS:cool:
    In my opinion, the J version is easier to use for Japanese, as it has proper J line spacing etc. and using English is the same as the E versions. The only important factor here is the question of whether or not the user is comfortable using a Japanese-based UI. If not the English version becomes much more attractive (until you need to write in Japanese). :eek:MS:eek:

25. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, well I'm definitely not having that issue in 14.1.2 (I haven't tried 14.1.3 yet). The only other thing I've done is set Japanese in the Microsoft Language Register app.