office 2004 and leopard spaces question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freyqq, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I've heard rumors that office 2004 doesn't play well with spaces in leopard. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Any issues with office 2004 at all in leopard? This is one of the main programs I use, and if there are any issues i'll hold off until office 2008 to upgrade.

2. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

3. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I've had no problems with it. What are the supposed issues?

4. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

5. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well, I just spent the entire day using Spaces and Word, so let me give you a detailed report. :p:)

First off, moving windows from space to space is a tad bit glitchy. For example, sometimes the window would slide under Word's toolbar and refuse to show itself again. The only way around it was to hit F8 (or whatever you use to see bird's eye view) and re-drag the particular window a bit lower. This hasn't happened too often, and it's fairly simple to deal with, so it's not what I would consider a real problem.

Secondly, you'll notice a minor slowdown if you have more than one Office app open, but this is more than likely caused by the RAM being used up. I wouldn't consider this a Spaces problem, I'd consider this a Rosetta problem.

Other than that, I haven't noticed anything else, and I use Word daily (and Excel/Powerpoint about once a week).

Have you experienced any problems? If you have, describe them, because they might necessarily be Spaces problems.

7. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I've had good luck switching between Word and Excel documents in different spaces.

I'll be very interested to see how spaces work with a VMWare Fusion based installation of Office 2007 for Windows. I have really gotten to like Office 2007 and when I get my next Mac Mini, I'll be running Fusion for just that reason.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Excel spacy in Spaces

Reviving an old thread here, which I searched for. I'm using Office 2004 with Leopard.

I've had problems with Excel 2004 (11.4.1) when Spaces is active. Data is not always entered, memory is not released, anything typed from changing column width to font size isn't always recognized.

I recently turned Spaces off, and it seems that the problems have disappeared. Based on a quick read of other threads here, it seems that the problem has not been corrected in Office 2008 either. Is that correct?

Are further updates to 2004 expected now that 2008 is out? But, if they haven't fixed that problem in 2008, seems like the chances of a fix for 2004 are remote, eh?

9. Mernak macrumors 6502

Word is not resizing anything on any of the spaces other than the first (row 1, column 1). Well, actually it is resizing, only it switches back to the first space while resizing, which is very inconvenient when guessing exactly where the pdf on the other space is. So far that is the only major bug that I've found, but that was just in the first couple of minutes of using word in Leopard.

P.S. I know that it is an old thread, but the last post was just earlier this week.

10. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Lol, not office 2004, but office 2008 has spaces issues, or just with me. It sucks. That's why i just use office 2004.

11. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

I'm also having some space issues with Office 2008. Entourage is usually happy on Space 2, but opening Word and putting it on Space 4 and then swapping around causes problems (Word will sometimes jump to Space 3 with Entourage).

But then, I've been having Spaces problems since installing 10.5.3, so I'm hoping a further update will resolve it.