Office 2004 Annoyances: is 2008 any better?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by myawn, Oct 18, 2008.

1. myawn macrumors member

myawn

There are a couple of things that annoy the hell out of me with Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac. I'm curious whether these are fixed in 2008.

- Office documents sometimes do not show up in the Recent Items list, even when they have been edited more recently than items that do show up. I haven't quite figured out the pattern as to why items are there sometimes, and other times not.
    - If I put in the name of a spreadsheet in Spotlight, Excel will open whatever spreadsheet it wants. (I believe it's probably the last spreadsheet opened). The one I requested is opened also, but may not even be the top-most one.
    - If I'm working attached to an external monitor, have a spreadsheet on that monitor, and then disconnect, the window for the spreadsheet doesn't return to the laptop display. It requires a series of non-obvious steps to 'recover' the window.
    - Sometimes the spreadsheet window just ignores the resize corner, generally stuck in more-or-less full screen.
    - When opening a spreadsheet, it doesn't restore to the size it was when it closed.

Remind me again why this sells for something like 4x the cost of iWork?
    (Yeah, I know, I should just redo my files for Numbers and drop this garbage, and probably will do that eventually.)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't know if any of these are fixed in 2008, but I do know 2008 has its own issues. I would stay with 2004 or try the new Open Office. 2008 is not worth the upgrade price IMHO.

PS. You will lose VBA as well

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Dude, '08 is no improvement. If anything its a step backwards if you count the new ribbon interface which, personally, I do not like.
    I used '04 quite a lot and it had some issues but I just dealt with it. If anything OpenOffice 3.0 just came out and has a new native interface so you don't have to use XCode when launching it. I've downloaded it but haven't really explored it much.

4. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

NeoOffice

I use NeoOffice and I couldn't be happier. iWork is total crap that I wouldn't use ever, and I didn't want to pay for Microsoft Office, so I tried NeoOffice and I loved it! I don't know if it has or doesn't have those issues you mentioned, but I'd give it a try.

www.neooffice.org

EDIT: Also, it is free.

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Fixed. :)

If you want to check for certain, you can always go into your friendly local Apple Store -- they've got Office 2008 loaded on all of their machines.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

6. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

You should probably stay with '04.

'08 is either no improvement, or quite possibly worse, especially with Leopard.

iWork isn't great (so far... I just started using it because MS Office '08 annoyed me one too many times)

Honestly, Open Office 3.0 is likely your best bet. I have used it on windows in the past, it is more or less the same as MS Office, includes ALL the software, and they don't rape you for ~$150 for the lump of **** that is Office '08