Office 2004 for Mac and Windows Office compatibility... Driving me mad!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by anirudh, Apr 30, 2008.

1. anirudh macrumors 6502

Anyone have any ideas about fixing this very frustrating situation??

When I prepare a presentation on Powerpoint Office 2004 for Mac, or write a document on Word 2004 for Mac and insert pictures into it and then transfer the file to a windows system and try to view it, instead of the pictures, all I see is a black space with a message:

"Quicktime and a Suitable Decompressor needed to view the picture".

I want seamless integration at this very basic level. Any solutions?

Also, does anyone know how to change slides in a powerpoint presentation using the Front Row Remote?

2. Slothapotamus macrumors member

Which version of Office are you using in Windows?

It might be worth trying out OpenOffice in Windows and seeing if the transferred files display correctly there. If they do then it's probably Microsoft just being a bunch of arses.

3. walnuts macrumors 6502

I thought I heard that they claimed to have fixed this issue with 2008.

In fact, I can just confirm. I created a powerpoint in ppt 2008 on my macbook, and just opened it on my work PC. The ppt was filled with screenshots from the mac, a word clip-art item that I had copied from another ppt, and one png that I had edited in photoshop elements. It opened perfectly- all of the pics worked great.

I definitely hear where you are coming from- I had the same frustrating problem in 2004. My fiancee gave me a ppt, in which I could not see any of the equations she had created in ppt for windows. I inserted a few images and she got the "needs quicktime and a compressor" message for a few of them. Fortunately, I didn't need it to work at the time.

4. anirudh thread starter macrumors 6502

@walnut

thanks for the advice.. will try it out.. wished I could have asked this question sooner.. wudnt have had to face so many problems with my presentation i had yesterday :)

though I have heard there being some problems with Office 2008 for macs... any ideas?

5. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

does the windows comp your are presenting on have quicktime?

That definately is a problem I have seen other people giving presentations run in to. What they ended up doing was just opening up their videos/pictures/whathaveyou and running them when they got to the slide. A little unprofessional, but it gets the job done, and people will understand why. I don't know if office for mac 2008 has the same troubles. Best solution is to get a laptop and hook it up to the projector where you give the presentation:D :apple:

6. walnuts macrumors 6502

Office 2008 isn't without its own problems, though they've fixed a bunch of them with a .1 update. I still have issues with spaces, picture placement in word, and would you believe that they got rid of "page break preview" in excel?!? There are threads on bugs in office 2008. There are no showstoppers for me.