Office 2004 - How many installs used?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by longtalljohn, Oct 16, 2011.

1. longtalljohn macrumors newbie

Can anyone help please?

I purchased a used copy of Office for Mac 2004 (Student and Teacher) a couple of years ago. It works fine whenever in need it.

The only problem is that I now don't know how many of the three installs have been used!

Obviously, I've used one.

The previous owner has used at least one, but possibly BOTH of the other two. How can I find out?

How can I find out if there are any installs still available without actually trying to install on to another machine?

If there is one left, I would like to sell on Ebay again.

Thanks

John

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can't sell the other installs.

The three installs are meant to be used in the same household, not by three complete strangers in various parts of the country.

3. longtalljohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I bought my copy from Ebay and at least some of the installs were used, and my install works fine.

So I don't think I agree, RSJ.

If I look on Ebay now there are plenty of sales of the same item with one or two installs left.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Just because you bought it from ebay doesn't mean it was sold legally.

Check the license agreement.

5. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Office 2004 does not have activation.

Each Product Key represents a separate license to use Office 2004.

Each license entitles you to install on 1 "desktop" + 1 "portable" Mac. The restriction is that you are not permitted to use any of the Office programs on more than 1 of the 2 systems at the same time. If both Macs are on the same network you will be physically prevented from launching an Office program on the second Mac if any Office program is running on the other.

In total, the 3 licenses (Product Keys) for Home & Student enables you to install on 6 separate Macs... Theoretically that means 2 Macs for each of 3 users or individuals.

Note: Office 2004 does not work under Lion!

6. longtalljohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the last post. So I guess my question is:

How can I find out how many on the product keys have been used?

Thanks

John

7. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

it dosen't really matter. those 3 licenses are for your use. if the previous owner has them, i'd contact ebay, as that's technically theft.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Moreover, if I understand correctly, whether or not the previous owner used any / specific ones of the license keys and whether or not he/she deleted them won't actually stop you from using them yourself. You have the keys, and the rights to use them -- if you want to worry about the rest from a citizenship standpoint, fine, but I don't think the way that Office licenses are enforced will stop you from just using your three keys yourself.

9. longtalljohn thread starter macrumors newbie

That last point is confusing me even more! :)

Are you saying the way the keys work is that if someone else has a key that you are using they can also install, use that key, and therefore deny you further usage?

If that is correct then I currently have all three keys (since all three key stickers are still on the box).

I can therefore reinstall, remove the key I used for this reinstall from the box, and then sell on the product with the other two keys available for someone else? Is that correct?

John

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, I'm saying the exact opposite.... IIRC, all the Office copy protection actually does is check your local network for copies of Office running under the same key, and refuses to run if it finds another *local* computer running on your key. I don't think that version of Office does anything about the possibility that someone somewhere else in the world is using that copy of Office. I could be wrong, but I don't think you have to really worry about any of this.

11. interrobang macrumors 6502

Just to be clear...nobody has any legal right to sell any of the keys individually. There are multiple keys for multiple installs, but only one legal license. If you sell them individually, you're engaging in piracy.

Whether they work and whether they are legal are two different things.

12. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry. I am noticing an increasing amount of this software being thrown out (i work in waste), which would suggest it is being uninstalled. I have a couple of copies of 2004 Student if anybody in Sydney wants one gratis.

13. longtalljohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to ask again but...

I do understand that selling licenses individually is piracy, and have no intention of doing so.

But are we saying that selling on this software is no issue legally? So if I sell this item on ebay with all three key codes on the box, there is no issue legally and it will work for the seller, and not stop my current install from working?

I'm happy to sell it. I just don't want to rip anyone off.

John

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you sell all three copies and keep one on your computer, that is piracy, as you no longer own a license.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You really have to look at the license. I apologize -- what I was trying to explain earlier is that the user in possession of the license keys can use them without worrying about whether or not the previous owner "did the right thing."

Some people have reported here that the Office 2004 student license doesn't allow any re-selling. I'd have to look at my box more carefully. I know that people do re-sell them frequently. At the very minimum, if you re-sell, you should sell the box with all the license keys, and you should delete / stop using the product. You are definitely not entitled to sell just one key or to sell the keys and keep using the software.

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That is correct. Whoever has possession of the license is in the right.

I'm not sure if that restriction is legit ... there is the First-Sale Doctrine.

This is key.

17. longtalljohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone. I'm afraid I'm still not 100% clear what is legally and practically possible so I won't be selling it! :)