Office 2004 not opening or saving files same for excell

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Boceansmart, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Boceansmart macrumors newbie

M.mini intel core 2 duo 10.6.8 operating sys updated office 2004 latest version.

Recently did a cache clean using ONyx and CCleaner, not good. Since then when i open word for example and attempt to open a file of go to save the new file i get the spinning gear that just goes on forever and I have to force quit.

Have attempted to delete preferences, repaired permissions and removed and reinstalled the office program to no avail. Have also created new user but the new user does not have office installed, not sure if I have to install it or is there a shared way to go about that?

Any help appreciated......

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I assume by "latest version" you mean the latest update for Office 2004. It's not the latest version, as Office 2008 and Office 2011 have been released since your version.
    You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

There are a few things to try.

Close all Office apps and delete all the Microsoft plist files, then relaunch the app(s). The plist files are located in /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/ and all begin with com.microsoft. and end with .plist

Use Font Book (in your Applications folder) to check for corrupt fonts. Disable or remove any you find.

If you installed Office properly, it should be available to all users, unless you have Parental Controls restricting access.

3. Boceansmart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I have also heard there is no real reason to clean up as I have been. Old habits......new mac user...

Will attempt to work on your suggestions.

I do believe when I installed the Office I may not have done the right thing will look at it.

4. Boceansmart thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck with deleting the .plist
    Got to the Font Book, not sure what to delete, some fonts do have multiplies but this newbie is getting in deep and not wanting to mess up any more than have already.

The office program by the way is Sons and he out of his element too it is older version 2004 and may just have to get the newer version.. will attempt to go in as new account and see if the office program word works there? Nothing is showing up on the new account in form of any apps, is there a shared way to obtain the stuff my account to the new one? Basic stuff no so basic... Thanks for any help available much appreciated.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Just so you know... Office 2004 is a PPC app and if you upgrade to Lion you will NOT be able to use it. I suggest you consider Libre Office (free) or Pages, Numbers and Keynote (available in the OS X app store).

6. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Office 2011 or iwork 09 or get it separately from the app store :)

7. Boceansmart thread starter macrumors newbie

That is good to know. Need to upgrade to Lion guess and get 2011 office.

Is there something I can attempt with the new account. Saw a link that said try a new account and see if the problem is still there. I have the new account is it the fact I did not install it correctly that is keeping the new account from having the Office apps? No way to set the new account to a shared the the original account so i see the same apps? Thanks.

8. Boceansmart thread starter macrumors newbie

No Luck yet?

Ok I was able to create new account and the same happened, when I start a new file in word, then go to save as, all that happens is the app freezes nothing, when I go to file and attempt to open another, I get the spinning gear for ever till I'm forced to quit.

Very corrupt i quess? Any thoughts appreciated...

9. CrickettGrrrl, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Recent Snow Leopard Security Update?

Hi Boceansmart, did you recently install the SL Security Update? It broke older PPC software like MS Office 2004 and Adobe CS2, preventing one from saving files. I noticed this with my older version of PhotoShop. Thankfully Apple issued another update a few days later which restored a missing file and the older software works again. You might want to check your Apple Software Update.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1318672

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As CrickettGrrrl posted, you need to update to the revised security update.

11. Boceansmart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you ALL

It worked! Thank you very much CricketGrrl :) I guess I should have researched better and would have known.... Very greatfull.

12. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

You're welcome :) I'm so glad it solved the problem.

(Wow! ---especially after all the great help I've received from reading these forums...:) )