Office 2004 S&T edition not working.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xxlordgold, Jul 13, 2007.

1. xxlordgold macrumors member

Office 2004 Student and Teacher edition isn't working on my new 2.4 macbook pro. When I insert the cd, it's recognized, but the automatic installer wouldn't work, so I just did a manual install by dragging the Office icon to my applications folder. When I click to open any of the programs, it's icon appears on the dock, bounces for about 20 seconds, and dissapears. I've tried installing the newest patches from Microsoft, but when I run them, it says a valid Office 2004 install isn't found.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Did you first delete the trial version of Office that comes on the MBP? If not, eradicate everything Office from your machine and then re-install.

3. xxlordgold thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I did. I used AppDelete (freeware version of AppZapper) to ensure I got it all.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think that might be the problem. I think there is a very specific un-instaler you must use. Those other apps actually miss important bits.

5. xxlordgold thread starter macrumors member

I had a feeling that'd be the problem... well, any ideas on what I could do to perhaps get it working again?

Thanks for the page, rdowns. I'm going to do an uninstall using the CD and reinstall to see if it helps.

6. xxlordgold thread starter macrumors member

Argh, still not working. I used the remove office command in the Additional Tools folder and reinstalled. Same thing as before, the installer wouldn't work so I manually installed, and I get the same vanishing icon. :(

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. xxlordgold thread starter macrumors member

Besides anything that I've installed myself, nothing. I still have all of iLife, iWork, etc.