Office 2004 stopped working after installing SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fstigre, Sep 10, 2009.

1. fstigre macrumors regular

fstigre

Hi,

For some reason Office 2004 stop working after installing SL when I click word, excel etc... it doesn’t open and eventually won’t respond. I uninstalled and reinstalled office deleted some duplicate fonts as suggested in some other forums but still not working, the funny thing is that it works when I log into the Guest account and also in safe mode. I downloaded Open Office but some of the spread sheet I have look different (smaller font some cells don’t show the full content etc.).

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Take it back, demand a refund, install iWork or OpenOffice instead ;-)

3. JediSkipdogg macrumors member

When you installed SL did you customize the install and add Rosetta to the list? Office 2004 requires Rosetta and it's not installed by default.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The installer requires Rosetta so it would have had to be installed.

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

OpenOffice does not require Rosetta, you can open/save files in MS formats if needed, & it's free!

6. lostless macrumors 6502

A good macified version of open office is called neooffice. Open office works only in x windows, while not bad, loses its mac look and feel. Neo office is all the tools in open office, but put to a mac user interface.

7. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I (begrudgingly) opened Word 2004 after upgrading, and was prompted to install Rosetta. It's possible you are being prompted, but not seeing the prompt. Cmd + TAB to see if there are any installation scripts open.

8. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

Yes, rosetta is installed I did this manually. I do have open office installed, but as I said in my original post some existing spread sheets from Microsoft Office look different in open office (some cells don’t show the full content).

Thanks